The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

White After Labor Day?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

White After Labor Day?

by Bill Hooper » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:24 pm

Tomorrow being Labor Day, I was wondering if your wine drinking habits change for the Fall. My guess is that most people here drink white and red wines throughout the year. How about Rose, Bubbly, and dessert?

Prost!
Bill
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: White After Labor Day?

by Paul B. » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:29 pm

No real appreciable changes in wine type with the change of seasons for me, though with beer there is a definite change: as soon as the weather cools down, I stop buying beer. That said, the start of fall is synonymous with home winemaking for me. Towards the end of September I get really busy with making my homemade wines from grapes, and I do it with very minimal equipment.

I very rarely drink dessert wines, but I will have icewine, usually no more than once a year, and usually around Christmas. Other than that, it's the same mix of whites, reds and the occasional sparkler for me, no matter what the season.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:26 am

Bill,

I used to think that people who shifted the color of their wines by seasons were nuts, but then I checked my own habits and found that, while I don't cut out whites and roses completely, I certainly reduce their consumption during the cooler seasons (coincidentally, I am nuts too). Since the overwhelming majority of my wine consumption is with food, it has to do with the way I eat. In warmer weather I eat lighter.

I don't think a port touches my lips between June and September--but I make up for that lack a week after the first frost...

As for sparklers: good anytime, anywhere, and at any occasion.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:36 am

What Thomas said except for the bit about sparklers, which I rarely drink regardless of the season.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:48 am

Yeah, I am with Thomas too. I have to admit however that the port situation was getting pretty desperate as I had to open a couple of splits last week. For WLDG archives notes naturally!!
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:51 am

Bob,

For some reason, the high alcohol of port doesn't seem able to stop me until there is but one glass left in the bottle and I am on my way toward incoherence or bed, whichever is within easy reach at the time.

My rule: when I light the first fire, it's time for the first Neipoort.
Thomas P