The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

How do these 2005 Bdx future prices look?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

How do these 2005 Bdx future prices look?

by OW Holmes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:23 am

I had decided, at my age, not to buy any more Bdx futures. I made that decision after buying a bunch of 2000. Now comes 2005 and all the hype and I'm caught up in it again. Decided a month ago, definitely not. No way. Now I get an email from Sam's in Chicago directing me to this site:
http://www.samswine.com/Products/Browse ... ord&Page=1
And having just tasted a bunch of 90's at MoCOOL, and the very impressive showing of the 1990 St. Estephes there, I am rethinking it. These are shown as 15% off, and the sale is purportedly only thru the Labor Day weekend.
So how are these prices? Any stand out as exceptional? Any of these likely to be really interesting within 10 years?
-OW
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: How do these 2005 Bdx future prices look?

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 am

These prices don't seem to be that great, even for 2005. But I haven't actually compared to other offers.

Ch. Bernadotte & Ch. Faizeau are usually pretty solid wines, though those prices aren't exactly screamers compared to previous vintages. Still, hard to figure you're going wrong with solid QPR wines in a prized vintage at $15. Ch. Vraye Croix de Gay is exactly the epitome of Pomerol, but under $30 Pomerol from a good vintage is not that easy to find.

A 15% sales indicates these aren't exactly selling well. While there are a few traditonal wines like Figeac, the thing I noticed is that there are a lot of more modern styled wines such as La Gomerie, Clos de Sarpe, Clos les Lunelles, Lynsolence, and Smith Haut Lafitte. Maybe these producers weren't folks first choices with the price increases (though I heard Pavie sold well).
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:39 am

Dale, what do you know about the style of the Haut Marbuzet, and Cos Labory. I really liked all the St. Estephes at MoCOOL and am hoping for a repeat - several years down the road.
-OW
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:53 am

Haut-Marbuzet is pretty modern, and was actually one of the earlier proponents of some aspects of the modern style. My impression is that Cos Labory is rather traditional. Cos Labory had a terrible rep, but I remember hearing that there has been great improvement, and I think I liked the 2000.
no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Grand Rapids, MI

by OW Holmes » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:55 am

Thanks. That helps.
-OW