WTN: Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York.

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN: Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York.

Postby Bob Ross » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:45 pm

Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York. $12.00; Vintage New York, 482 Broome Street. 11.5% alcohol; 1.5% residual sugar. 501 cases.

Straw yellow color, light hue, pretty aroma and tastes of pear and apples, medium mouth feel, lively finish, albeit a bit short. Very nice sipping wine. 3*.
Bob Ross
Wine guru

Re: WTN: Atwater Estate Vineyards 2005 Vidal Blanc Fingers Lakes New York.

Postby Howie Hart » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Bob,
The 1.5% RS is about what I usually like to finish my home made Vidal at. Seems like a nice balance at that point for a normal ripened Vidal, as opposed to late harvest. I agree about the "nice sipping" part. Some seem to think of Vidal as a poor man's Riesling, but I don't find it as food friendly.
Howie Hart
The Hart of Buffalo

Postby Paul B. » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:14 pm

Bob, many thanks for this TN.

Vidal makes what I consider to be some of our best "everyday" white table wine in Ontario; this despite the fact that as a variety, it is of course most famous as one of our icewine grapes.

I've had some truly fine dry Vidal from Magnotta - their '00 in particular threw masses of tartrate crystals and if any white could be said to have "crystalline acidity", that one did.

Vidal is extremely versatile for us here in Ontario because it successfully runs the gamut from crisp dry table wines, to off-dry, to late-harvest and finally, icewine. It's hardy and productive and a good match for our terroir.
Hybrid Wines Online:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
Paul B.
Hybrid Guru

Postby Dan Smothergill » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:04 pm

This one got a Double Gold and was judged Best White Wine at the New York State Fair this year.
Last edited by Dan Smothergill on Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Smothergill
Wine guru

Postby Steve Guattery » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:14 pm

I visited Atwater for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and two bottles of the 2005 Vidal is what I ended up buying - good stuff. The 2004 was pretty good, too, though the winery price for the 2005 ($14?) was substantially more than I paid at retail for the 2004 (got bottles for $10 and $11).
Steve Guattery
Ultra geek

Return to The Wine Forum