The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: `04 Muscadet Domaine de la Pepiere--Loire Fr.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

WTN: `04 Muscadet Domaine de la Pepiere--Loire Fr.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:39 pm

After all the shipping delays and reading about everyone else`s impressions, I finally got around to tasting this very special `04 Muscadet. I have to say that my inital thoughts last evening seem to reflect my tasting notes on the Ch. l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee tasted earlier this summer!!

TN: `04 Muscadet Pepiere.

Opened for an hour and served just slightly chilled. 12% alc. Nomacorc cork.

Colour. Deepish straw, no legs.

Nose. Chalky,seashell, minerally. Bit dumb at first with some lemon as it warms. The Chereau-Carre had more going for it on the nose, see what happens overnight?

Palate. Had some problems trying to find the right serving temp! Clean, citrus, green apple, unripe pear. Nice acidic structure, clean and tangy. Did not have the sur-lie spritz, but good grip and lengthy finish with stony tones and tartish fruits. Apples galore and a very memorable wine. I think will be interesting to see overnight evolvement. Oh, no rainwater!

Cost was $19.00 Cdn.
Food, sauteed shrimp with parsley butter. Yum!

WTN: `04 Muscadet Chateau l`Oiseliniere de la Ramee--Chereau-Carre.

Opened a couple of hours and nicely chilled. 12%alc, small bubbles on the glass. The colour is a pale straw with no depth, seems typical to me. Sur-lie of course.

Nose. Delightful, flowery, seashell fragrance. some minerals, fresh cut grass. Apple and melon. Stood up overnight too.

Palate. Initial mouthfeel entry is fresh, crisp, zippy acidity, dry and flinty. There is a touch of CO2 from the sur-lie process. Excellent acidity and great finish. Soft ripe apple, cleansing all round. "Rainwater" thought a fellow taster, where have I heard that before? I really appreciate the leesy character here, not overdone.
All in balance, just a hint of sourness on the finish. Nice off-dry style, memorable. Is the `04 Pepiere like this?

* wine really held up overnight. Lovely
Cost was $19.00 Cdn.

****the Carre notes were posted earlier this summer!!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: `04 Muscadet Domaine de la Pepiere--Loire Fr.

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:03 pm

finally! Glad the Pepiere showed up for you, Bob.
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:19 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: Had some problems trying to find the right serving temp!

I've come to agree with the notion that whites are often served too cold, Bob, but IMO Muscadet is one white that benefits from a chillier chill than others.
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:36 pm

Clinton Macsherry wrote:
Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: Had some problems trying to find the right serving temp!

I've come to agree with the notion that whites are often served too cold, Bob, but IMO Muscadet is one white that benefits from a chillier chill than others.

Oh, too true Clinton. This was a strange one however and had different thoughts at varying temps. Trying 3 different glasses was no improvement!! But this is a real winner in the muscadet stakes!! Now if I could find the higher end wines from Mr O.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:59 am

24 hours later with vacu-vin seal, more citrus on the finish and still quite dry. This one will give you a buzz, terrific as you all said!!

I reread my notes on the Carre and both wines seems pretty typical for muscadet in a good year. Wonder what will `05 be like?? In both cases, I say drink now, these are not for putting away9 (from the guy who has over 7 mixed cases of whites!!).