The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Kurt Hain's Golden Drops 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Kurt Hain's Golden Drops 2005

by Saina » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:08 pm

Kurt Hain Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Kabinett 2005 9% AP 2 596 432 8 06

Kurt Hain Piesporter Goldtröpfchen Riesling Spätlese No. 12 2005 8,5% AP 2 596 432 12 06

Both wines have lovely and typical, if weighty noses. Riesling will always smell more like Riesling than apples and limes, so I won't bother with a list of boring descriptors. Both exhibit the blackcurrant leaves which apparently are a note typical to the Golddrop site.

The Kabinett is very weighty and plump. It does have structure, but it is hiding under all the fruit and sugar. The minerality is delightfully up-front, though. It is a very good wine, but it isn't Kabinett.

The Spätlese is a very, very weighty wine indeed, almost exotic in its fruitiness, but again very mineral, with steely acidity lurking underneath but not really daring to show itself.

The aftertastes of both are remarkably long and mineral. Lovely wines both of them, though neither of them really fits in with what is written on label! Though the acidity isn't as prominent as I would hope, it is there, and I'm sure that once the youthful plumpness fades I will like what will emerge.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.