The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Au Bon Climat 1998 Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

WTN: Au Bon Climat 1998 Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir.

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 pm

Au Bon Climat 1998 Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir "Knox Alexander" California. 13.5% alcohol. $24.00 at Wine Ventures. I enjoyed this wine very much last night with a poor piece of aged beef -- outrageously priced for the quality, frankly, and some delicious roasted corn and steamed broccoli. Just as good the second night after resting in the fridge -- it worked well with superb wild salmon, roasted asparagus and baked potato.

I wrote one of my usual tasting notes and then did a web search to see what other folks thought. I found a note by Robin Garr for the "La Bauge Au-dessus" of the same vintage, and frankly I liked Robin's note better than mine -- he captured the way the cherry aroma and tastes worked together with the other elements -- I was a little uncertain what "brown spices" are and would delete the adjective "brown" in my own note. Nonetheless:

"Clear ruby with highlights of orange. Fresh cherries, juicy and ripe, fill the nose and palate, with appealing notes of [brown] spices to add complexity and lemon-squirt acidity to build structure in a wine that seems to blossom in the glass as fine Pinots so often do." 4*. http://www.wineloverspage.com/wines/tn.phtml?id=160

Thanks Robin.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

Re: WTN: Au Bon Climat 1998 Santa Maria Valley Pinot Noir.

by Redwinger » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:13 pm

Just this weekend I posted a note on the 2004 version of this ABC...now I just wish Y'all would hush about ABC Pinots. :D
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:24 pm

Nice wines aren't they? We both ought to stop posting on them .... :-)

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:06 am

Bob Ross wrote:Nice wines aren't they? We both ought to stop posting on them .... :-)

Regards, Bob

No, keep posting. It's one that's available (I avoid the term widely) over here and the price seems worth a try.
thanks for the tip
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:04 pm

Ian,
My somewhat limited experience is that the ABC Pinots show a bit awkward when first released. They usually benefit from a year or so in the cellar to pull their act together.
FWIW,
BP
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:14 pm

That's certainly my experience, Bill -- but they seem to age very well. The winemaker told us the same thing at a tasting he led in 1998. Here are a portion of my notes from the event:

Parts I and II: Pinot Noir in California and Oregon: Jim Clendenen of Au Bon Climat and Mike Etzel of Beaux Frères. Jim Clendenen was an excellent, amusing speaker. He said that terroir was very important to Pinot Noir in California, which had many different regions and therefore great variety in its Pinots. He described an “under brush” or “briar” or “forest floor” [Tanzer] taste that was distinctive in Pinot Noir. Tastes of hard spices, especially black pepper, and juniper are also found.

Clendenen had a number of good lines:

“If you like a wine, determine if you know enough to like it.”

“Every tasting is a postcard from a wine’s long evolution.”

“Tasting notes from a wine maker about his own wines are apt to be lies and self aggrandizing.”

During the tasting, there was a long, somewhat confusing, discussion of reductive molecules that are added to wines to prevent oxygenation. These molecules give wine an off-flavor. Clendenen said he removed them by tossing a copper penny into the wine; in Burgundy he said winemakers used a copper spoon for the same purpose. A member of the audience said pennies were no longer made of copper. Clendenen said he never checked the dates on the pennies, he just tossed them in. “Maybe there’s something else in my pocket that does the trick!”

[WLDG: Paul Winalski, April 12, 1998: US pennies have never been made out of copper except for a year or two immediately following World War II, when they were made from copper recycled from rifle shells. Until very recently, they were made from bronze. Then, circa 1988 I think it was, inflation had caused that amount of bronze to be worth more than one cent, so they started making pennies out of some cheaper zinc alloy clad with copper. The zinc alloy is toxic, so I don't think throwing pennies into wine to neutralize sulfite is a very good idea any more. He'd be better off getting one of those Burgundian copper spoons.]

Other good quotes in addition to a few sprinkled through the report:

There was a discussion of what was the best wine various speakers had tasted. Graillot: “The wine I’m going to have this evening.”

Through this Torii Mor
This earth gate
We step,
To make glad the soul
With wine.
Label on 1994 Torii Mor Pinot Noir.

Incestuous Products from Like Minds.
Au Bon Climat Motto.

Mike Etzel was shy but demonstrated commitment; he said that he had worked with other winemakers (including Ken Wright) before going out on his own; he has now made four vintages.

During the tastings, Albert L. Hotchkin said that color was irrelevant in Pinot Noir; pale reds could have extraordinary flavor. On the other hand, most wine lovers believe that darker red means better Pinot Noir; consumers often say color doesn’t matter, but then find another reason not to like the paler versions. As a result, there is pressure on winemakers to make a darker Pinot Noir.

Flight 5: 5a 1995 Au Bon Climat Reserve Sanford & Benedict Pinot Noir Santa Barbara County California. Deep red color; good fruit and spice aroma; very good fruit and spice taste with lots of spice; complex, well balanced tannins; took some time to develop its best flavor; 15 to 20 second finish. T4*. [Clendenen: “This wine is made in a reductive style and it needs time to develop.]

5b 1995 Saintsbury Reserve Pinot Noir Carneros California. Good red color; very aromatic fruit and spice aroma; very good fruit and spice taste, flowery overtones; heavy mouth feel; ten second finish. 3*. [One of the panel said: “This wine says ‘Grab me! Drink me, now!’ But you may not like the third glass.”]

[WLDG: Paul Winalski, April 12, 1998: Saintsbury Reserves: These have always been favorites of mine. Although they often are forward and fruity when young, they respond quite positively to being kept for 8 years or so. The 1989 and 1990 are wonderful right now.]

Flight 7: 7a 1994 Au Bon Climat LaBauge Au-Dessus Pinot Noir Santa Barbara County California. Very good fruit aroma and taste; strong pepper and spice taste; a “bright” flavor, very succulent; very nicely balanced; 10 to 15 second finish. T4*+. [A general favorite of the panel and members of the audience.]

7b 1994 Bethel Heights Southeast Block Reserve Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Oregon. Very good fruit aroma and taste; some pleasant herbal overtones with a bit of earth; very complex over time after a sweet attack; good mouth feel; ten to fifteen second finish. T4*. [One of the experienced tasters at our table said that he tasted eucalyptus in this wine; it reminded him of Cabernet Sauvignon. Tashjian said that would be a serious flaw in Pinot Noir.]

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robert Thornton

Rank

Just got here

Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:00 pm

Pasadena, CA

by Robert Thornton » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Thanks for the note on this. I had it about a year ago and really enjoyed it, although I paid more than you did on release...great price!

Best,
-Robert
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:46 pm

Welcome to WLDG, Robert.

I was so impressed with the winemaker and the wine at this tasting, I bought as wide a variety as I could find in my area.

Funny man, with lots of great insights. And very nice wines.

Regards, Bob