The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Following Up (Pepiere, Mugneret-Gibourg, Johannishof, Catoir)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Following Up (Pepiere, Mugneret-Gibourg, Johannishof, Catoir)

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:09 am

We had a party on Saturday, and as host I was too busy manning the grill to take real notes. There were some leftovers though, so last night with some more duck I tried a few of the remaining wines.

2004 and 2005 Pepiere Muscadet Clos des Briords Vieilles Vignes
I tried these side by side (they were originally part of a 5 vintage vertical 2000-2005 (less the '03) and found the '04 more open, fruity and even medium bodied, while the '05 was like a rapier slashing its way through my palate. I love the '04, but I think the '05 just needs time. Both had that fantastic concentration of minerals.

2002 Mugneret-Gibourg Bourgogne Rouge
On Saturday this was all about Madagascar vanilla on the nose, but yesterday it had blossomed with delicious red and black fruit, flowers and the vanilla in the background. Incredibly good. I wish I had more.

2005 Johannishof (Eser) Johannisberger 'G' Riesling Kabinett (Rheingau)
The 'G' stands for Goldatzel. This was all about tropical fruit. Lost of ripe pineapple with sufficient acids to balance the fruit. But, like most 2005s I have had so far, I am left wondering what all the fuss is about. Yes I have tried some really good ones, but most are just plain good, not much more.

1996 Muller-Catoir Mussbacher Eselhaut Rieslaner Spatlese (Pfalz)
Here's the unripe side of pineapple. Tons of teeth rattling acids and a green underside to the flavors that borders on the unpleasant. 1996 was a unique vintage, and for that I am thankful. This will never come into enjoyable balance in my opinion.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Following Up (Pepiere, Mugneret-Gibourg, Johannishof, Catoir)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:24 am

Agh, the Pepiere again! Well, think mine has recovered from travel shock so ready to open and see what all the fuss is about with this one!!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:53 am

I'm glad you were grilling instead of note taking. You certainly kept us content with assorted grilled-protein treats (and great wine).
That Briords line up was really educational. On it's own I wouldnt have detected any increased body in the'04 but it was quite apparent next to the '05.

I'm part way through writing up my notes...21 wines (not counting the Gamay Noir which I somehow missed). :shock:
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks for the fun day, David! :D
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:58 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:I'm glad you were grilling instead of note taking. You certainly kept us content with assorted grilled-protein treats (and great wine).
That Briords line up was really educational. On it's own I wouldnt have detected any increased body in the'04 but it was quite apparent next to the '05.

I'm part way through writing up my notes...21 wines (not counting the Gamay Noir which I somehow missed). :shock:

Only 21? We're slipping. That's only 1.5 per person.
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

by Charles Weiss » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:04 pm

David,
Many thanks indeed for the geenrous hospitality, food and wine.
I really thought more of the Eser than you did. Good balance and lots of red fruit. Could have been a Donnhoff Kirscheck from a good vintage (he said, ducking).
Charles
Charles Weiss
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:45 pm

Charles Weiss wrote:I really thought more of the Eser than you did. Good balance and lots of red fruit. Could have been a Donnhoff Kirscheck from a good vintage (he said, ducking).
Charles

Ack! While I can acutally agree based on flavor profile, the Kirschheck is much more elegant. That may be part of my problem with '05, I am looking too much for elegance. It's not there.