The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines from Good Places

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

WTN: Wines from Good Places

by Rahsaan » Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:13 am

1999 Bernard Baudry Chinon Les Grézeaux
For me this is gorgeous and perfectly mature resolved tomato cranberry fruit. Juicy, herbal, and best of all harmonious. It puts on a bit of weight and depth with air, but the tannins are so melted I would say drink up now. Plus for some this might already be a bit past it. To me it was lovely and harmonious.

1995 Bernard Baudry Chinon Cuvée Signature
I last checked in on this one year ago, where it actually seemed to show better. This bottle has great clean pure firm purple fruit that in a way seems less evolved than a bottle of the 96 CB a few weeks ago. But, this has a prominent acid streak that gets in the way and which I don't remember from one year ago. Seems to have great potential, great firm juicy fruit, and the acid is also less prominent than in the recent bottle of 96, but still a bit too pronounced for full-on hedonism at the moment.

2002 Domaine du Closel Savennières Clos du Papillon
Sweet juicy browny beeswaxy Savennières and less of the tropical fruit from on release. Big juicy and chewy, with some fine fine fine tannin-like structured grains on the inside cheeks of the wine that give it some grace. Seems like it has elements for aging, so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

2005 AJ Adam MSR Riesling Kabinett
I hear this fellow is younger than me (26 or 27 years old?) and already making some enjoyable wines (first vintage was 2001?). This is a juicy fun glugger, to open when you have guests or when you don't want to wait for proper aeration, but when you still want elegance and fun, because the orange peach sorbet melts on the mouth in waves of lacy fun straight from the corkpull. It has some crisp acids that give it spunk, but mostly it shows juicy, doughy, lacy, and fun. Fun.

2001 Spreitzer Charta Riesling "Hattenheimer Wisselbrunnen"
Aging autumnal (by that I mean lots of brown and lots of drying leaves) flavors and a mineral carbon crunch. This is a boring combination that flirts with interest by showing some spice, some sour jade stones, but still is not a lot of fun. Same over several days. So that's why it was in the bargain bin.