The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

1999 La Tour Carnet (not a tasting note, exactly)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

1999 La Tour Carnet (not a tasting note, exactly)

by Covert » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:11 pm

It’s really hard to describe conversation between a wine and its drinker. For kicks, my wife and I opened a 2001 Flowers red table wine on Friday after paddling half the length of Indian Lake (New York North Country) in a strong wind. The label didn’t say anything, but I think I recall reading somewhere that the wine has a few different red grapes; although it tasted like predominately Pinot Noir to me. Lynn liked it, I really didn’t. It jumped from the glass and was a bit sweet. But it was a nice wine. Nothing wrong with it. Lynn liked the fact that it was obvious so she didn’t have to think about it after a tiring day.

Yesterday, after a seven-mile hike in to a virgin lake in the same general area as Indian Lake, I got to pick the wine and I chose something very opposite: 1999 La Tour Carnet. Neither one of us could adequately compare some very unique flavors to anything we could remember. That’s part of the reason that this post is not a tasting note. We both agreed that the wine was very different. It was an intellectual struggle to even think about it, but after a short while, we both felt we enjoyed it about as much as we could enjoy anything. It is light with a short finish, so I certainly wouldn’t recommend it to anybody. The interesting thing, though, was that it fortified to us why we so much love Bordeaux.

I understand that Michel Rolland took up consulting for the old (from 1120) property for the 2000 and more recent vintages. I will certainly try a 2000, but I have a feeling that one more wine from the old school may have bitten the dust. It’s a bit like the old dirt roads of Long Island I used to drive in an old Henry J when I was eight. No they weren’t jazzy super highways, but they had soul.

If I knew how to put pictures on this forum I would share the photo that I shot of that lake on Saturday. We stood on a sandy beach and looked out over the water and reflected on how it had probably looked that way ever since the last ice age. I’m sure a few Indians found their way there over the years, but they left it pretty much like they found it. It would be fun to look down from the hereafter and see how many years it will be before a road is built to it so that it can be developed. I think it is called Terrill Pond, or something like that, but it is at least a mile long and looks like a lake.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: 1999 La Tour Carnet (not a tasting note, exactly)

by David Creighton » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:17 am

i'm not sure i've had either the '99 or '00 (all my notes are at home); but i DID have the 2001,2 and 3. of these the '01 was a very great success. i told the fellow representing it that i considered it the best la tour carnet i had ever tastes. i visited there once - it is an amazing property! i have a couple of older vintages in my cellar - it has usually been a solid performer. if you get to buy, the 2001, i would do so. i have!
david creighton
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:07 pm

creightond wrote: if you get to buy, the 2001, i would do so. i have!

Thanks very much for the tip, David. I will definitely buy some 2001. I like the wines from that vintage; although I am trying to let them sit a little while longer before I drink them regularly.

I was also thinking if I get to Bordeaux, which I keep promising myself, I would like to visit that old Carnet castle.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:21 pm

Great note, Cov. This is a Bordeaux I've never had, love these notes that give the rest of us courage about picking up those lesser known wines.

Cool about the lake. I have only once or twice stood in a place that felt 'virgin'--it's thrilling. Not many of those left anymore.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:56 pm

Jenise wrote: This is a Bordeaux I've never had

I don't know where I got it. Went on Winesearcher to find a 2001 and only found one store carrying it in the country - somewhere in the Midwest. I may still order some from the unknown (to me) outlet and ask it to be shipped this fall.

I did however order 6 bottles of 2003 La Tour Carnet from Sherry-Lehmann. They were blowing the classed growth out for under $20 a bottle, even with a 90 Parker rating!? This will certainly permit a before and after test, especially if Rolland helped make it. But RP did not mention Rolland in his brief encomium.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:42 pm

i think i got mine '01 from century in rochester, ny; but may be wrong. they don't have a website, so search engines probably wouldn't come up with their name. you might try calling them.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:27 pm

creightond wrote:i think i got mine '01 from century in rochester, ny

Oh yes, old Sherwood. When the Internet entered the picture, I asked him if he wanted me to set up a website for him. He said no. Guess it's still no.