The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Great Gruner, plus CdRV, QbA, and Couer-Cheverny

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Great Gruner, plus CdRV, QbA, and Couer-Cheverny

by Dale Williams » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:54 pm

A few from last few days:
2002 Huards Cour-Cheverny
On day one I kind of liked the bitter lemon and canteloupe notes , though it didn't seem to have the depth of the Cazin. OK wine, but surprisingly (to me, for a high acid wine), it seemed to totally fall apart overnight in the fridge. Get the Cazin. B-

2001 Rabasse Charavin Rasteau Cotes du Rhone Villages
Big ripe CdR, with red (raspberry and cherry) fruit overlaid with herbs, leather, and a little wood. I probably enjoyed this a little less than it deserved, just frankly the wrong wine with a light summer meal. Probably a B- for my enjoyment now, but would have certainly scored higher with a hearty winter meal.

2005 Dönnhoff Riesling QbA (Nahe)
Peaches and lime zest, off-dry with balancing acidity. Surprisingly good match with some bulgogi. With some hype about the 2005s I had maybe hoped for something more stunning, but this is still a fine value- quality wise about the same as the 2004 or 2002. B+/B

2004 Nigl "Privat" Gruner Veltliner (Kremstal)
Damn, this is good. Initially served too cold, as it slowly warmed (slowly- a shockingly cool night for NY in August) layers of complexity tumbled out. Herbs, white pepper, lentils, lemon and green apple fruit, citrus zest- all bound up in a large frame and backed by a firm acidic spine. Betsy had flown back from a NC concert Saturday AM, a Gourmet mag she had picked up on plane had a menu for grilled breaded pork chops, veggie kabobs in a vinaigrette, and a quinoa salad. Betsy substituted veal chops for the pork, great match for the GV. A fine Gruner with plenty of potential to age, but oh so good now. A-/A

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Great Gruner, plus CdRV, QbA, and Couer-Cheverny

by Rahsaan » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:52 pm

2002 Huards Cour-Cheverny
On day one I kind of liked the bitter lemon and canteloupe notes , though it didn't seem to have the depth of the Cazin. OK wine, but surprisingly (to me, for a high acid wine), it seemed to totally fall apart overnight in the fridge. Get the Cazin

I agree, but they do have a higher level bottling (which I haven't tasted) that perhaps has more depth.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Great Gruner, plus CdRV, QbA, and Couer-Cheverny

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:58 pm

Get the Cazin.
I just got one the other day having no idea what I was buying. I'm looking forward to trying it.