The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1993 Ch St. Jean, Cinq Cepages

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

WTN: 1993 Ch St. Jean, Cinq Cepages

by Redwinger » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:22 am

1993 Ch St. Jean, Cinq Cepages
This is my last bottle of this wine which brings back memories earlier times when this was an almost automatic buy every year, at least until the price jump associated with their crowning as WOTY by WS in 1996 (or at least I think it was the 1996 Vintage as 1995 is the youngest Cinq in my cellar). Back to the wine.
The nose has pleasing secondary aromas of cigar box, leather and moist earth. The fruit, tannins and the oak which I recall from its' younger days have fully integrated. The color was excellent with no signs of fade on the rim, but nonetheless for most drinkers this would probably be classified as "past peak". However, I found it to be a joyous accompaniment to our grilled steak dinner and another testament to so- called "off" vinatges that seem to bring a smile to my face more often than not.
Redwinger
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 1993 Ch St. Jean, Cinq Cepages

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:51 am

Sounds pretty good to me. I do not have too many old Calif. wines in the cellar but would be happy to pull this if I had. Think there are some vintages in a restaurant I know, so will call them.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

Re: WTN: 1993 Ch St. Jean, Cinq Cepages

by John Treder » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:34 pm

I went back and checked. I paid $16.19 for my bottle (long gone and enjoyed) of the '93.

And '95 was the last year I bought, too. $25.20. It got too expensive for me, afterward.