The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

BR: Far Flung and Well Fed by R.W.(Johnny) Apple

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

BR: Far Flung and Well Fed by R.W.(Johnny) Apple

by TomHill » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Spied this on the shelf at Border's ystrday and knew I had to have it immediately. Now well over a third into it.
This is a collection of JohnnyApple's food and wine writings. Assembled by his step-daughter CatherineCollins. Probably nearly half the articles I'd read in one place or another (mostly the NYTimes, but also Saveur and others), but they're still a great read the 2'nd time thru. Just a smattering of them are about wine, mostly they're about food. But they're all very well-written and highly informative. Like raising tuna off the Baja coast. Or grapefruit from Texas...of all things??? His style is a bit like CalvinTrillin's, but not so folksey/amusing...but far more informative.
Alas...I never had the opportunity to meet Johnny. I've a SanDiego friend who was a close friend of Johhny and his wife, Betsey. They were supposed to all come to Hospices du Rhone one year but, alas, it fell thru at the last minute. So...alas,,it never happened. He died so young, in 2006.
Johnny was a political news writer for the NYTimes for many a year. I found his political writings very insightful and equally informing and knew the name well afore he started writing wine & food articles.
Anyway....this book is very highly recommended. Great reading and you come away from it knowing a lot more than you do now.
Tom