The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Question - how often do you get the "hard sell" on wine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Cromwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:11 pm

Question - how often do you get the "hard sell" on wine?

by Doug Cromwell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Stopped into an LA area wine shop around Anaheim on a business trip this week, and had an experience that causes me to ask the subject question.

I was browsing around for something to bring to dinner at a BYO, and this salesperson kept pointing me at wines & quoting scores. I could have understood if it was some overzealous use of Parker points, but about half the time when I actually looked at their shelf-talkers they were points from the store's own employees. This went on for a good 15 minutes while I browsing, even after I said I did not require assistance. It was really quite shameless and distasteful. I finally grabbed a good but not great bottle of Bordeaux (2001 Lafon Rochet), and escaped with most of my wallet. I really did not like being hounded.

Does this happen to other people very often, or do I perhaps look like I don't know what I am doing?
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

Re: Question - how often do you get the "hard sell" on wine?

by Alan Wolfe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Doug - As far as my business is concerned, I always use a "soft sell" and don't belabor my customers unless they ask, or at least look like they want assistance. If I'm wrong and it becomes clear they do not, I back off pretty quickly. I might not make as many sales as I would have otherwise made, but I also have a lot of repeat business and friendly customers.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Well, Doug, I'm thinking that this might have been in part because of where you were. I just wonder if shops in Anaheim, being used to visitors, tries much harder to make a sale with the thought that the current customer most likely will not be in the shop more than that one time. Does this happen to you near home, too? My local wine shop staff ask once if they can help but then I won't see them until I ask for them or am ready to buy.
no avatar
User

Doug Cromwell

Rank

Cellar rat

by Doug Cromwell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:38 pm

Jon,

To be honest I am rarely in shops except on the road these days. I drink a lot from the cellar, and buy a good bit on line.

Alan - where is your shop? I do a good bit of drving up and down I-81.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:45 pm

In our store we ask anybody browsing,"Can we help you with anything". Nothing more needed if they say no thanks.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:04 pm

I have never had anyone keep approaching me after I told them I was 'just looking.'
no avatar
User

Alan Wolfe

Rank

On Time Out status

Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:34 am

West Virginia

by Alan Wolfe » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:08 pm

Doug - I own and operate a small farm winery in North-central West Virginia, 4 hours or more from I-81, and in any case I am not open to the public. Not trying to turn you off, but I am too, too remote to make casual visitors a practical possibility.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:45 pm

Doug
I wonder if this might have been a young, enthusiastic and not very clued up sales person - the scores being a handy substitute for knowing anything about the wine?

I've never encountered this approach before.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Oh, I've encountered it, but rarely.

Never works with me anyway; and it's counterproductive.

Could be that the person in question is working on incentive, or is incentivized to sell certain products (I worked in one place that did that long ago). Could also be the person was bored to death (you get that way on a salesfloor at times) and just wanted someone to talk to. Also could have been he just got reamed out by his manager for not providing the utmost in customer service. :D

Oh, and if you do go into Alan's place, I'm sure you'll find him polite and low-key---but remember, he also packs a gun. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Doug Cromwell

Rank

Cellar rat

by Doug Cromwell » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:04 pm

A gun? Better stay clear.

Anyway, the clerk in question was about 30-35 to my eyes.