The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Marlborough, St Chinian, and Provence rose

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Marlborough, St Chinian, and Provence rose

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:42 pm

Ahh, dinner at home. Betsy greeted me last night with a plate of proscuitto and grana padona with dried fig, I opened the 2008 Kato Sauvignon Sauvignon Blanc (Marlborough).. Gooseberry, a little herbs, this seems maybe a tad thin/overcropped. Ok for the $9 tag, but I'm not looking for more. . B-/C+

Actual meal was an old favorite, a stew/soup of cinnamon beef with spinach in a spicy broth. I opened the 2007 Rimbert "Les Travers de Marceau" Saint-Chinian. More acidity than most Southern French wines, cherries and red berries, herb and underbrush. Little hint of olive. Good length for the level. Tannins evident but smooth. Quite a nice wine. B+

Tonight I'm going to local group, but we had dinner first. Betsy made a quick bouillabaisse with fish, scallops, and clams. I tried to capture the Mediterranean coast feel by putting the 2008 Commanderie de la Bargemone Rose (Coteaux d'Aix) in a simple carafe/pichet (it was already needing to be cleaned, after I decanted my Barbaresco in it). Sweet strawberries, touch of herbs, little saline note- needs a little more verve to be a buy again, but a decent rose. B-

Off for Piedmont night with the Dobbs crew!

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Marlborough, St Chinian, and Provence rose

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:09 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Tonight I'm going to local group, but we had dinner first...putting the 2008 Commanderie de la Bargemone Rose (Coteaux d'Aix) in a simple carafe/pichet (it was already needing to be cleaned, after I decanted my Barbaresco in it)...Off for Piedmont night with the Dobbs crew! 

I like your style. The pre-party before-tasting wine! :wink:
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Marlborough, St Chinian, and Provence rose

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:54 pm

Looking forward to the Piedmont notes!
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.