The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: White wonders

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

WTN: White wonders

by Mark S » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:26 pm

Actually, not really. Nothing really 'wonderful', but more the dreams of White Wonderbread®: consistent products that provide for a middle-of-the-road lifestyle, nothing too wild here.

Rene Mure, Riesling, Vorbourg, 2005
Yellow-pear gold. Aromas of apple-pear skin, yellow fruits, adn wintergreen. Apple-pear echoed on the palate, bergamont, somewhat lightish in flavor, and a little chardonnay-like, offering some smoke-tones on the end. Drinks well, if not my idea of a riesling, but then my reference riesling is more Germanic. B+

Pepiere, Muscadet, 'Clos des Briords', 2007
Glistening light gold. Lemon-lime-7UP™-oystershell aromas, with lime water and crushed calcium in the glass. Very fresh and lively, but feels softer than usual (compared to the 2002 & 04), with less concentration. Not sure this is up to long aging, but I'd be happy to keep these around for 3-5 years. A-/B+

Edi Kante, Carso, Malvasia, 2005
Burnished lemony gold color. Sharp lemon aroma. Biting limoncello flavor, with a slight Vernorish burn on the finish. Although the flavors are acidic, it doesn't seem to translate to a equally acidic structure to the wine. Comes across as realtively simple, but well-made, and unlike previous malvasias I've had which had more of a floral quality to them. Interesting, but don't know if I'd purchase again (esp. at the going rate of $35 for a 500 ml), unlike Kante's chardonnay, which had a unique 'soft-air' quality to it. B+

Inman, Pinot Gris, Russian River Valley, 2007
Very, very pale color, which reflects what you find in the glass: a pale wash of a wine, with one of the hoppiest finishes I've ever had, almost tasting like a light beer. not distinctively pinot gris at all, my closest guess being garganega. B

Donnhoff, Norheimer Kirscheck, Riesling - S, 2003
Bright lemon-yellow with a slight green cast. Spring flowers and calcium wash, light etheral feeling but with good perseverance, softish acidity. I see no need to age this longer. A-

Chateau Dereszla, Tokaji, Aszu, 6 puttonyos, 2000
Oxidative orange-toffee-coffee aromas and flavors. Some nice bitter orange marmalade with air, and a warm bronze fire-crackle along with botrytis spice. Actually better the second night. B+/A-
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: White wonders

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I see no reason to further age the Kirschheck either. Drink 'em if you got 'em.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:38 pm

Big white wine lover here......BWWL!!! Lucky you to have tasted the `07 Pepiere.

Interesting PG too.

Bob hooked on Muscadet.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: Pepiere

by Mark S » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Bob -

what, I thought you could get anything in the wild west of Alberta, with all the free wheelin' and dealin' that goes on there :P Seriously, I've seen you post on some pretty obscure or unusual finds that I'm surprised make their way in what is normally flyover country.
I'm surprised no Pepiere.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:02 pm

Had the same Kante in Italy a month ago and found it the most "saline" wine I have ever had. Surprised yours didn't seem to have any of that...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.