The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Does wine react with silver?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Does wine react with silver?

by Ryan M » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:34 am

Hello Everyone,

Perhaps its an ignorant question: I had never really thought about it before, but a lot of wine accessories, particularly those in the antique style, are made of silver - funnels, tastevins, etc. Silver obviously reacts with air relatively rapidly (i.e., oxidation). So, does wine react with silver?

Thanks,
Ryan
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

Re: Does wine react with silver?

by John DeFiore » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:51 am

As far as I know silver will react with some sulfer compounds in wine, e.g. H2S to form silver sulfide, and has been used to aid in removal of those compounds (more usually it's copper). I'm not aware of any other significant reaction that silver would have with anything in wine.

Regards,

John
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:36 am

Ryan, Hi......

Silver, gold and pewter all react with wine but that is not a cause of health concern, for no significant amount of the metal will leach into the wine until in contact for a minimum of 2 - 3 hours, and that whether in a wine glass or a decanter. The problem that comes about in drinking wine from silver, gold or pewter goblets is that the lip and saliva indeed come in contact with the metal and that passes on an undesired metallic taste to the wine.

As to using a silver funnel for pouring or decanting - should be no problem whatever. Oh yes...in case you are thinking of using lead decanters for wine - avoid unless you want to suffer the fate of a great many of the noblest of the Romans.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:07 am

Like John said silver, copper and gold can react with sulfur compounds found in wine. Introducing certain metals to wine can also alter a wine’s redox potential, by acting as a catalyst for certain chemical reactions.

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:08 am

I'd think the acidity of wine will also attack silver. But these effects probably pale when compared to the tarnishing effects of the air.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Thanks everyone. The spirit of my question was rather, would and potential reactions with silver harm the wine? Mark! Surely you can shed light on this?
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:36 pm

How big of a silver object (bar) are we talking about, what volume of “treated” wine are we talking about, and how long of a duration?
Like Daniel said, if your taking about a silver funnel, wine key, silver spoon, or silver coin, and the wine is only in contact with the object for a short period of time there shouldn’t be a health problem, and yes a wine that was once “unpleasant” could possible become “pleasant”.

Salute
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Ryan Maderak wrote:Thanks everyone. The spirit of my question was rather, would and potential reactions with silver harm the wine? Mark! Surely you can shed light on this?

I certainly wouldn't store wine in silver. Prolonged contact will lead to several different reactions, none of which are likely very good for the wine. First of all, since the surface of silver is silver oxide (unless it's been recently treated), you have a reaction between the acids in the wine with the silver oxide to form silver tartrate or silver malate/lactate. Those same salts, in turn, can react with any aldehydes or sugars present in the wine to form silver(0) again (the Tollens test) which will fall out of solution as a disperse black powder and promote oxidation to acetic acid and sugar lactones. None of this presents any human health hazard that I'm aware of, but could change the taste of the wine and detract from the appearance.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:52 pm

I had to look up aldehyde, but found something amusing in the process: the root word from which vinyl is derived is . . . . . wine!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldehyde
Galileo Galilei