The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Corks and Coutet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Corks and Coutet

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:47 am

As part of a tasting last night we were served a 3 vintage vertical of Chateau Coutet (blind).

The 2001 initially smelled lovely, but quickly took on a metallic edge, and on tasting the fruit was muted & there was something slightly musty on the back end. The mustiness grew quickly, and the corkiness became obvious. Too bad, as it still had a few lovely elements.

The 2003 was not all that much heavier than the 2001 which really surprised me once they were unveiled. I was thinking it was another 2001 (in fact I guessed that this wine was 2001 Coutet, where I thought the corked wine was 2001 La Tour Blanche) because of its lovely fruit and richness. This was a much better balanced wine than I ever would have expected. Very nice.

The 2005 was as closed as Fort Knox on the nose. For a while there was absolutely nothing there. Plenty of fruit and honey on the palate with the barest touch of VA got me thinking perhaps 2001 Rieussec (which I know is closed down from prior experience). 30 minutes or so brought out enough on the nose to identify it as wine, but this was still very closed in.

Interesting to taste the 3 vintages side by side, but terribly sad about the 2001.
Decisions are made by those who show up