The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Petite Arvine and Pinot Noir from Valais

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Petite Arvine and Pinot Noir from Valais

by Saina » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:43 pm

• 2007 Cave St. Pierre Pinot Noir - Switzerland, Valais, Chamoson (10/14/2009)
    13% abv; c.16€. Light colour. A pleasant but simple and straightforward scent of sweet red berries and a bit of the beetroot savouryness I like in the grape. Fairly light body, low in both acidity and tannin and consequently seemingly rather sweet, but not annoyingly so. There would be nothing wrong with this if it were 6€ cheaper: it is a perfectly decent example of a light, easy drinking, cheap Pinot Noir except that this isn't cheap.
  • 2008 Cave St. Pierre Petite Arvine Réserve des Administrateurs - Switzerland, Valais (10/14/2009)
    13,5%; 20,10€. The first Petite Arvine I have had, so I had no idea if this is typical of the grape. But it was very nice. The scent reminded me of Muscadet in its stony and citrussy aromas yet at the same time it had an almost Gewurz-like floral and spicy aroma promising sweetness and richness on the palate. It is, indeed, full bodied, rich, ripe and apricot-like, with only moderate acidity (but enough to keep it moreish). Interesting stuff and certainly makes me want to try more of the grape.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.