The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 1997 Fieuzal blanc and 1978 Prieure-Lichine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 1997 Fieuzal blanc and 1978 Prieure-Lichine

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:45 am

Last night I raided my sister's cellar and persuaded her to open some stuff that might be over the hill. She doesn't like white wine, so the first was not difficult to pry, but the second had sentimental value, since she inherited three bottles from our parents.

1997 Chateau Fieuzal (blanc) Pessac-Leognan 12.5%
Has seen better days, showing white flowers and mild oxidation in the guise of almonds. Good acidity, so did a nice job with cheese, and was served quite chilled, masking some of the incipient senility.

1978 Chateau Prieure-Lichine Margaux (no alcohol indication on label)
After decanting the considerable sediment, the first bottle showed masses of barnyard, with a rear guard of mature cherry and iodine (second bottle was a steelier version of the same). Quite lovely in the mouth, showing excellent acid/sweet balance and satisfying weight. Surprisingly jovial, all things considered. An officer in its resilience and a gentleman in its delicacy. I was definitely in wine heaven, displaying the required reverence and bleating predictable oinks about its 31-year journey to our mouths.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTNs: 1997 Fieuzal blanc and 1978 Prieure-Lichine

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:30 am

Thanks for notes. I don't cross paths with Prieure Lichine much. From limited experience 78 and 79 seemed to do especially well in Margaux, then appellation had a real weak period in eighties except for 83 (though how much is terroir and how much winemaking is debatable).