The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4 from Louis/Dressner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

WTN: 4 from Louis/Dressner

by geo t. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:40 pm

Tried these four from two excellent Loire producers recently and as is almost always the case, they really give a lot of pleasure.

2007 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon No 2, 12.5% alc., $17.99: You'll never mistake this medium straw colored Sauvignon for something from New Zealand; there's none of that ultra-ripe yeast infected fruit here, but rather some nice lemon and yellow apple flavors and aromas shaded with subtle minerality that are restrained in comparison to their Kiwi cousins, but hardly austere in their own right. Medium to medium full bodied, with good balance and acids, along with a certain creamy quality to it. This one is even a bit different from its cousins in Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume, and nicely so. More, please!

2006 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Cuvee Pif, 12% alc., $16.99: Showing good dark color, and deep, dark, earthy black currant and blackberry flavors and aromas that show just a hint of the barnyard initially, and an almost perfumed quality to counter-balance the earthiness. Full bodied and very well structured for several years in the cellar, yet opens nicely with air for current drinking, so give it an hour in a decanter if you can't wait. A wine with great depth and personality. A blend of Cot (Malbec) and Cabernet Franc.

2007 Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgueil Trinch, 12% alc., $20: Almost opaque, it's so dark in color, with a funky earth, iron and barnyard nose that gains a deep, rich core of black currant and blackberry on the palate. Big, brawny and well structured, this needs at least 5 years to mellow some, but tannin pigs will find a lot to like already.

2003 Catherine & Pierre Breton Bourgueil Nuits d' Ivresse, 12% alc., $20: Deep, dark color, with an earthy black fruit nose shaded with some barnyard; big flavors echo loudly, with a solid core of black currant and blackberry. Full bodied, with ample structure for several years of development yet. Despite the earthy, funky qualities (or maybe because of them), this has a lot of appeal for those who like natural wines. Drink or hold for 5 years or more.

Imported by LDM Wines Inc., New York, NY

- from Available @ Your Friendly Neighborhood Retailer

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 4 from Louis/Dressner

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:49 pm

geo t. wrote:2007 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon No 2, 12.5% alc., $17.99: You'll never mistake this medium straw colored Sauvignon for something from New Zealand; there's none of that ultra-ripe yeast infected fruit here, but rather some nice lemon and yellow apple flavors and aromas shaded with subtle minerality that are restrained in comparison to their Kiwi cousins, but hardly austere in their own right. Medium to medium full bodied, with good balance and acids, along with a certain creamy quality to it. This one is even a bit different from its cousins in Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume, and nicely so. More, please!

I had a disappointing bottle of this recently that was very medicinal/sour and nowhere near as good as previous experiences. I was wondering if it was bottle variation or a stage, but your note makes me think it was bottle variation. Nice!
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:20 am

Rahsaan wrote:
geo t. wrote:2007 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Sauvignon No 2, 12.5% alc., $17.99: You'll never mistake this medium straw colored Sauvignon for something from New Zealand; there's none of that ultra-ripe yeast infected fruit here, but rather some nice lemon and yellow apple flavors and aromas shaded with subtle minerality that are restrained in comparison to their Kiwi cousins, but hardly austere in their own right. Medium to medium full bodied, with good balance and acids, along with a certain creamy quality to it. This one is even a bit different from its cousins in Sancerre and Pouilly-Fume, and nicely so. More, please!

I had a disappointing bottle of this recently that was very medicinal/sour and nowhere near as good as previous experiences. I was wondering if it was bottle variation or a stage, but your note makes me think it was bottle variation. Nice!

Yup, bottle variation would be my conclusion, Rahsaan.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:50 am

Thanks for notes, 3 perennial favorites (the Pif is good but not a favorite). I generally don't get excited over 03 European wines, but Loire reds from good producers seem consistently good