The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rose Champagnes: Why So Expensive?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Rose Champagnes: Why So Expensive?

by Clint Hall » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:34 am

"How come rose NV Champagnes are usually more expensive than blanc de blancs and other Champagnes?" asks my wife, who expects me to have all the answers about wine.

I'll get back to you on that, says I.

OK, How come?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Rose Champagnes: Why So Expensive?

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:06 am

Lower production, perhaps a slight increase in cost for extra work (e.g. doing saignee)...no real answer (even Terry Theise who imports grower Champagnes isn't really sure).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:15 am

Indeed David is correct - as "nobody knows the troubles I got", neither does anyone have a reasonable explanation for why rose Champagne is invariably more dear than others in the same n.v. or vintage categories. One of those happy little mysteries of life.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:32 am

FWIW - Napa prices are $2,400/ton for Chardonnay vs $2,558/ton for Pinot Noir. I don't know how they're priced in Champagne.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:59 am

I suspect smaller supply, strong demand (at all levels - Pink Champagne is so romantic...?).

... and all that against a wine category that (in specific reference to the big houses) is pricier than I'm happy to regularly pay.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:26 am

Rosé Champagne is indeed hot right now, even in the down economy.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:44 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Rosé Champagne is indeed hot right now, even in the down economy.
Cool! I have 35 bottles of 2008 pink Blanc de Pinot Noir bottle aging right now. Should be ready in another year or so.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:50 am

Perhaps some of the elders among us will remember the days when it was called "Pink Champagne", was perceived as a lower-level wine and cost one-third to one-half the price of "regular" Champagne. Today its Rose Champagne" of course and the prices get astronomical. Supply and demand? Status?
no avatar
User

SteveG

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:28 pm

by SteveG » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:52 am

On general business principles, I would say 'perceived value'.

An example from the automotive glass industry in which I used to participate, back in the 60s and 70s, while most manufacturers were moving towards equipping all cars with tinted glass some inexpensive models lagged and offered clear glass as standard and tinted as an extra-price option. The facts were that not only did tinted glass not inherently cost more to make, it was manufactured in vastly larger quantities and certainly cost less per unit than clear. Still, they couldn't very well charge less for this 'superior' product, and indeed they did not. In the end one would say that the price of basic clear supported the higher price for tinted. While the analogy is not perfect (rose being smaller production, for one thing), Obviously every Champagne producer thinks they can get a higher price for rose, and that alone is enough justification.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:24 pm

I agree with SteveG.

It has NOTHING to do with productions costs.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:30 pm

I’ll have to agree with David and Howie, production levels (demand) and price per ton or HL/ Ha have a lot to do with price. As far as the “extra cost”, I don’t believe this factor in as much. Producing sparkling wine using “traditional” methods is very costly, but with that said, I don’t believe just any grape variety is “tolerant” to this method. I believe we are seeing more "non traditional" sparkling wines because of modern methods of producing sparklers.

Salute
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:12 pm

Victor, Hi.....

To precisely which "non-traditional" forms of sparkling wine are you referring?

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:16 pm

I'm a bad person to ask because I love the stuff so I'll likely go out of my way to delude myself and others by saying things like, "oh, it's not that much more expensive, it's worth every penny - go ahead and just enjoy it" line of thinking ;) In other words, I have a hard time giving non-starstruck opinions about champagne.

But yes, in truth, its often crazily more expensive than "normal" champagnes. As several have already stated, the traditional reasons for this is simply the cost to physically blend it is a bit more tedious than blonde champagnes. However, blanc de blancs are also more expensive than traditional champagnes too. As also stated, the fact that both are somewhat "novelty" champagnes with generally less demand surely accounts for the increase too.

I wish I could say I have an over-abundant supply in the cellar but, as much as I like rose champagnes, I still tend to enjoy the blonde ones (sometimes PURE blonde ones - blanc de blancs) even more. However, a 1988 Dom Perignon Rose was, so far, the greatest one I've ever had. Delicious! Sensuous hints of strawberries and cream! And very smooth! Mmmm. None of the more tart-sharpness you sometimes pick up with simpler/younger roses. If only I had another and they weren't so expensive! I do have a 1995 of the same wine (just one unfortunately) cellaring for a romantic ocassion sometime in the near future.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff B on Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Daniel,
Other than the Champagne standard grape varieties.

Salute
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

by Jeff B » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:26 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:Perhaps some of the elders among us will remember the days when it was called "Pink Champagne", was perceived as a lower-level wine and cost one-third to one-half the price of "regular" Champagne. Today its Rose Champagne" of course and the prices get astronomical. Supply and demand? Status?

It's funny you mention that because I have a habit of referring to rose champagnes as "pink champagnes". I don't intentionally do this to try and "cheapen" the image of rose champagnes. I simply do it because, as you mentioned, in a traditional sense it seems to more specifically and practically describe the style of wine. There's nothing "wrong" with rose. It's pretty enough I guess. But "pink champagne" seems to better cut to the heart of the description and others, who may may not be into champagnes OR who may WANT to be into champagnes but feel they don't "know" anything about them might feel turned off/confused by hearing "rose champagne". Pink champagne is, well... more straight-forward and perhaps romantic-sounding (to those who are just getting into it anyways). Thus my reasoning for why I often just say "pink champagne", even with the good stuff.

There's also the pronounciation confusion (for some) with rose. They may think it is said (rose) as in the flower and think we're being too fancy/snobbish when we call the thing (rose-ay). Of course even calling it as the flower is fair. After all there are pink roses indeed! ;) But, again, just to avoid all this, I find it easier and more "practical" to just say "pink champagne" most of the time...

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill