The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

If you live in Maryland, check this place out!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

If you live in Maryland, check this place out!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 pm

I was doing some googling around and came across Mills Fine Wines website. They have some Maury in stock.

https://www.millswine.com/inventory/mills-wine-shop/19

Obviously no connection!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: If you live in Maryland, check this place out!

by James Roscoe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:09 pm

Mills has a reputation of being over-priced, so I have never gone into the store. It is right on the water in Annapolis. I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the wine you are touting Bob. Is it really worth $25 for a 350? I will try to get over there Saturday as part of my "wine schling".
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:21 pm

Well, yeah I guess I would have a problem with that price. Think about the Coullioure though.

I checked out Portugal, all he has is some ports. No Douro reds, shame.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:18 am

James Roscoe wrote:Mills has a reputation of being over-priced, so I have never gone into the store. It is right on the water in Annapolis. I am afraid I am unfamiliar with the wine you are touting Bob. Is it really worth $25 for a 350? I will try to get over there Saturday as part of my "wine schling".

Mills is a very fine store. I have been shopping there for years. The reputation of being over-priced is from a practice that I don't agree with which is the bottle price on everything is not what those of us who shop there regularly pay. Bottle price is 10%-25% above mailing list price. This was a way to secure maximum profit out of the boaters without losing the regular wine buyers. In the past this was not a transparent practice and it could get quite interesting when I had to quietly argue with a new employee that I don't pay the prices she rung up for me until one of the long-time employees came to see what the hold up was and corrected the situation. Today the current management has made the situation more transparent in that one can get a mills customer appreciation card which automatically gets you the mailing list pricing.

I have not checked the web site to see which pricing it reflects. I would assume that it reflects mailing list price.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:27 pm

I first encountered Maury wine on the trip to Provence in 2008 and became an immediate fan. I have purchased a couple bottles since but don't remember what price I paid. That price does sound high for a half-bottle but it is a fortified wine and so you would expect to pay more than for a still wine from the same region.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:10 pm

Thanks, Bob. While I really appreciate James' comments regarding prices, I also like to walk through shops I've never been in before, like Mills. I'll head over there some Saturday.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:56 pm

Jon, I agree that I like to walk through a well-stocked store. I too will give Mills a look-over. If you are in Annapolis, try the Wine Cellar on Forest Drive. The bonus is that there is a great cheese shop next door.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 am

Jon/James,

If you go, you would be best served to talk to Todd, Matt, or Kathy. Both will try to understand your preferences and point you to similar items within your price range. Matt has found me many a wine under $20 that was previously unknown to me that was right up my alley.