The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Beau's Blues Monday Wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Beau's Blues Monday Wines

by Brian K Miller » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Beau sampled me on a William Selyem Zinfandel, which I liked quite a bit, with the bright zin cherry fruit eviden but also quite a hit of dark earthyness. Not a sweet wine or a fruit bomb at all. Very fine. I remember Russian River Valley but did not write down the vineyard designation.

2003 Del Dotto "David" Bordeaux Blend. This was somewhat of a surprise. Del Dotto wines do, however, tend to the lean and tart side of things. Which I like. Defintiely a lighter, not green but verging on that wine with some berry fruit. Quite a nice food wine?????? 87 points? Maybe higher?

2004 Chateau Bellegrave-Van Der Voort (Pauillac) Continuing the theme of lighter, less extracted wines...this was definitely a light weight/medium weight Bordeaux. Berry fruit on the nose, but pretty reticent on the palate. Some fruit, but not a lot. Very nice mouth feel, though. Hint of green, but more as part of the overall flavor profile versus a distinct, separate green "note" as in the haut Medoc from Sunday? Quite light and even elegant. I thought Pauillac wines were supposed to be blockbusters? Probably committing infanticide. :( Still, very, very drinkable and I can see this with a lighter meat dish. Would buy again if I were in the market. But...I really thought the Mille Roses was more interesting, even somewhat layered and complex. 85 points.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach