The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A White Zin w/ John Lahart...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: A White Zin w/ John Lahart...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:12 pm

Well....he is kinda short...but boring??? NoWay!!.
Tried this at lunch last Thurs w/ John:
1. Santino AmadorCnty Zinfandel DryBerrySelect WhiteHarvest (7.1%; TotallyBotrytisAffected/TBA; Hrvstd: 10/15/85; TA: !.8 gm/100ml; pH:3.4; RS: 31.5%; Winemaker: ScottHarvey) 1985: Very dark murky brown color w/ suspended sediment; very intense raisened/pruney/caramel/creme brulee slight botrytis/peachy complex nose like a great/old PedroXimenez; very tart very sweet very intense raisened/pruney complex flavor; very intense PX-like/raisened/pruney slight botrytis/peach syrup/apricotty very sweet very complex finish that goes on & on; very much like a 30-40 yr old PedroXimenez or old Erbaluce de Caluso passito; in amazingly good shape and going strong.
1. I first met JohnLahart out here in CyberSpace probably back on the early WineSpectator board. He & I both moved on to less "children scrapping in the sandbox" venues. Then he sorta vanished from sight on wine boards in CyberSpace for a number of yrs. Some 1-2 yrs ago, he magically resurfaced on eBob and has been a fairly regular contributor since then.
John always struck me as a guy I'd like to sit down and share a glass of wine with someday, over the yrs. I've found his posts always well-reasoned, thought-provoking, and civil. He has a way of thoughtfully summarizing a (usually controversial) thread in a way that makes you think. Don't always agree w/ his viewpoint...but it makes me think and often take a different view on the issue.
So...when I was planning my recent trip back to NYC/Seacaucus...I suggested to John we get together for lunch...which we did last Thurs in Rutherford at Park&Orchard restaurant. I asked the front lady, when I showed up, if it was legal in NJ to bring your own wine into a restaurant (it is). She was pretty adamant that it was not a good idea since they had such a good wine list. When I told her it was a White Zin...she really started fussing at me. But I persisted and when she saw it was not a SutterHome WhiteZin....she relented.
We had a very relaxed lunch and wide-ranging discussion. A good day all-round.
2. This wine was one of ScottHarvey's first wines at Santino (later Renwood). Scott spent a yr in Germany has a high-school exchange student w/ a wine-making family...where he developed a fondness for Riesling and dessert wines. The grapes were harvested at a (then-) record sugar level for Calif. Botrytis is rare in AmadorCnty because of the low-humidity, but he did get some botrytis in '85. The wine was in amazingly good shape and developing some complexity. Not at all like a German TBA, but more like a PedroXiminez than anything. At a TA of 1.8, that's a screaming high acidity. But it balances the high RS very well and is probably what kept the wine in such good shape. Amazing stuff.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: A White Zin w/ John Lahart...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:10 am

I can just picture you trying to get past the desk wench with your white zinfandel, Tom--pretty funny.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: TA of 1.8 Wow.

by Brian Gilp » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:04 pm

I can't wrap my head around a 1.8 TA with a pH of 3.4. Something seems amiss. I would expect to the in the 0.6 to 0.7 range at that pH. I realize they are two different measurements but if I remember this correctly that would imply that your wine had a whole mess of acid that did not disassociate their H.