The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Leitz Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: 2003 Leitz Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:48 pm

2003 Weingut Josef Leitz Rudesheimer Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese (Rheingau)
Laura and I were visiting with Johannes Leitz in Rudesheim the day this was picked. We ferried vineyard workers in our rental car, and a photo of a worker loading grapes into a bin that I took that day graced the Terry Theise catalog for a couple of years. So it makes sense that this wine, despite its less than regal origins, is very special to me. I first tasted it in late 2004 & immediately bought a case, as it brought back memories of a bright, sunny & crisp (the 2003 heat had passed by then) day & a great time with a fantastic vintner who is also a really fun guy.

Numerous discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of the 2003s sent me looking for a bottle in the glacial cellar. One sip & I was back in Rudesheim, and also back on the day when I first tasted the wine. It has barely changed. The fruit is still completely primary, the acidity fresh and zingy, and the overall balance classic German Riesling. I don't know how he did it, but this little wine outclasses most 2003s I have tasted over the last 5 years. It did on release, and it still does now.
Johannes Leitz Laura and David in 2003.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: 2003 Leitz Magdalenenkreuz Riesling Spatlese

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:55 pm

I don't usually do points, but this post gets a 99(you always need room for improvement)
Context is everything.
I only have about a dozen 03 Germans, some S-O, Donnhoff, Willi S. Now I wish I had some Leitz!
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:29 pm

It's always amazing when a wine can suddenly evoke those sorts of memories of a place or certain people. Great story, thanks for sharing that.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 am

Thanks Dale and Salil.

Dale - if you want to try some 2003 Leitz you'll need to let me open a bottle some time when we get together. :D
Decisions are made by those who show up