The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Burgundy, Bordeaux, Cali Cab, Corbieres

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: Burgundy, Bordeaux, Cali Cab, Corbieres

by Brian K Miller » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:53 pm

Chateau de Mattes-Sabran 2004 Corbieres Very earthy/strawberry fruit ( this is Grenache and Shiraz.) Absolutely no Brett (unlike my previous Corbierres) but this is apparently a BIG scale producer. Decent quaffer for $13! 85 points. The Wine Doctor recommends significant decanter time. I would buy more just because I like the character of wines like this. I wish all "industrial" wine was this pleasant!

I like the Wine Doctor comments/review:
Chateau de Mattes-Sabran Corbières 'Sabran' 2004: A blend of Shiraz and Grenache. A dark, not quite impenetrable, deep red hue. The nose is rather reticent and brooding at first, but over a few hours it gradually reveals fleeting glimpses of fruit, firstly blueberry, then a little raspberry. After a few hours the palate demonstrates a fine balance, gradually shaking off its initially rather an austere structure and firm texture. There is a firm nature to the tannins, but it has a freshness alongside a good grip, and a purity of the fruit, although it remains dark, charcoaly and reserved. It has a fine extract too. Really rather good potential here. Although this may be better if left in the cellar for a year or two, it is fine now provided it receives a few hours of time in a decanter. 17/20 (April 2007)

2005 Bernard Morey et Fils Maranges La Fussiere 1er Cru I know nothing much about Burgundy (or anything else, actually :roll: ) but this went very, very well with the grilled Pork Roast with just a hint of apricot glaze. Iffy cork with some intrusion :( BUT, all was not lost. Dark ruby color. Definitely some tart cherry fruit...quite refreshing. Earthyness, some mushroomy notes, but the thing that stood out to me is a definite refreshing, delicious, food-friendly tangyness. Almost like a good Chianti without tasting like Chianti in any way.
91 points plus! Very fine for a reasonable $30.

2004 Chateau Mille Rose Haut Medoc. From a newish estate next door to Margaux proper (1999). We all quite enjoyed this, even popped and poured. Cellar Tracker comments suggest significant decanting, and it did blossom with air. Definitely on the savory side, with pronounced cedar and soy notes. Nose had more fruit, which suggests decanting would be a good idea. Tannins were not obtrusive. Those who enjoy a slight...and only slight...green edge on their Claret would like this wine. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Solid 87 points!

2004 Elizabeth Spenser Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon. This needed air and time, but ultimately I found this Cab slightly disappointing. When first pored, there was a definite pruney note on the nose. The alcohol, though nominally "only" 14.4 %, stuck out a bit. The wine did improve noticeably with air...and we even used one of those gadgets into a decanter. The pruneyness and alcohol mellowed out on the nose. Still, this was all about dark plum, raspberry, prunes (still) and chocolate...lots of chocolatey-ness. 83 points???

2007 Landmark Overlook Chardonnay.
Plenty of oak on the nose and palate, but the fruit has a brightness that I really liked. Very citrusy. 86 point???
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach