The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Quick notes on four Rieslings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Quick notes on four Rieslings

by Salil » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:52 pm

2008 Dönnhoff Riesling (Nahe)
Bright, floral aromatics lead into mineral, white cherry and grapefruit flavours in the mouth, very tasty and refreshing with good acidity and solid QPR as always, though not up to the phenomenal level of the 07.

2005 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett (Mosel)
A bottle of this a few weeks ago was spectacular and one of the best Kabinetts I've had, so I opened this with very high expectations and was a bit disappointed as it didn't hit the highs of that (or other bottles I've had in the past). Still very tasty though with ripe melon and grapefruit flavours over minerals and savoury herbal elements. Feels more like a Spätlese in style though, although no complaints at $14.

2007 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Kabinett AP #16 (Mosel)
Oh, this is really good stuff. Why did I skip over this and only buy the Spätlese earlier? Green and red apples, lime and pear flavours over a bed of slate and flowers, over the course of a couple of hours the slatey minerality really builds and takes over on the aromatics. Really good acidity (with much more definition and focus than the corresponding Spätlese, which I found too soft for my liking) and a very long finish.

2004 Schlossgut Diel Dorsheimer Pittermännchen Riesling Spätlese (Nahe)
Fabulous, packed with flowers and really bright, ripe fruit flavours ranging from tarter citrus and pear to sweet pineapple and other tropical fruits. There's an intense slatey mineral character underneath and plenty of acidity that gives this fantastic precision and keeps the sweetness in check. Fantastic wine and I am glad to have more of this.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Quick notes on four Rieslings

by Rahsaan » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:25 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:2004 Schlossgut Diel Dorsheimer Pittermännchen Riesling Spätlese (Nahe)
Fabulous, packed with flowers and really bright, ripe fruit flavours ranging from tarter citrus and pear to sweet pineapple and other tropical fruits. There's an intense slatey mineral character underneath and plenty of acidity that gives this fantastic precision and keeps the sweetness in check. Fantastic wine and I am glad to have more of this.

Sounds good. Are you now drinking through the 04 Diels or do you find some worthy of cellaring?

I finally stopped by Marty's this weekend but it looked pretty picked over. I guess we know who to blame for that! :wink:
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:13 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Sounds good. Are you now drinking through the 04 Diels or do you find some worthy of cellaring?

I'll go through my 04 Kabinett soon, it's a very tasty wine but I don't see the upside in holding it much longer.
Will show some more control on the Spatlese (as I picked up a bunch of both the Burgberg and Pittermannchen). I was curious to see how the Pittermannchen would show after the Burgberg we had at your place. In fact I brought one of my bottles down to NY for a Riesling dinner but we never got around to opening it. No complaints about having to do it myself at home this weekend. ;) But I reckon both of them (particularly the Pittermannchen, which seemed to have more focus and balance) will age very well.

And re. Marty's - I'm only to blame on the Germans, I ended up leaving the Austrians and Burg sections alone after seeing those Diels! ;)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:11 am

Thanks for notes. I too prefer the 07 WS GD Kab to the Spatlese, though time may change that.
I'd also give a slight edge to the 07 Donnhoff estate over the 08
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:11 am

Salil Benegal wrote:I ended up leaving the Austrians and Burg sections alone after seeing those Diels! ;)

Aha! I'll have to spread blame elsewhere.

They had a few Diels left, but none of the vineyard-specific stuff.