The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Creature from the Black Lagune

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: Creature from the Black Lagune

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:35 am

1995 Chateau La Lagune Haut Medoc Grand Cru Classe 13.0%
After the previous evening's adventurous (and insufficiently rewarding) romp through the Jura, last night I was in the mood for something conventional, something heart warming and life affirming to put us back in the zone. By jolly, we got it. Aromas are totally classic: barnyard, leather, cigarbox, cedar, well-integrated (i.e., faint) vanilla. Fruit? A meadow of blackberries humming in the shadows. Lively acidity, perfect acid/sweet balance, fine body-enhancing tannins. A standout experience, just lovely.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

Re: WTN: Creature from the Black Lagune

by R Cabrera » Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:48 am

I’ve not had the La Lagune. But over the last couple of years of having a bottle here-and-there or in organized tastings, I have grown fonder of this Bordeaux vintage, whichever side of the river they hailed from. I wished I had stocked up on wines from this vintage earlier during release.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Creature from the Black Lagune

by Jenise » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:34 pm

Life affirming indeed. Nice to see a report on a '95 that's come around, I've been a bit worried about touching my too-few bottles from this very good vintage.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov