The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Recent tastes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Recent tastes

by Florida Jim » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:36 pm

2007 Bjørnstad, Chardonnay Ritchie Vnyd.:
Bright pear and honey scents with gentle oak (oak tends to fade as the wine airs); more viscous in the mouth than the nose suggests but plenty of acidity, good depth and strongly flavored but no tropical stuff – more fresh pear, peach and stone fruits, very engaging and never cloying; good length. Becomes finer and more integrated as the wine opens in the glass. 14.0% alcohol and none of it showing. Nice, and gives every indication that cellaring will be good to it.
(I have had a fair number of chards. produced by others from this vineyard; this is the one with the most backbone and brightness – several others have been heavier, oakier or bordering on syrupy. Even though all have had a good flavor this wine is the whole package.)

1999 Dom. Lafarge, Volnay Vendages Selectionées:
The first aromas were the most complex – thereafter the nose closed somewhat and became nothing but black fruit and earth; still grippy but very complete in the mouth, identifiable as Volnay, firm and with medium length. Several hours in the glass didn’t alter it much. A better wine than I thought at release but still needs cellaring and has the stuffing for it.

2007 Chat. De Chantemerle (Boudin), Chablis:
Straight-forward, lightly sour/steely and typical of its AOC . . . and yet . . . I am spoiled to this producer’s premier crus, Fourchaume and L’Homme Mort, and this was obviously not one of them. Still, at $23, more character and food compatibility than most domestic chardonnays, by a large margin. For short term aging or drinking.

2007 Graillot, Crozes-Hermitage:
Also, correct to its AOC and no more. Varietal, well-made, solid syrah with some complexity and a certain amount of finesse; and a steal at $22, full retail. A good match with pork chops.

2007 Dönnhoff, Riesling Qba (A.P. 7753010 34 08):
With tandori chicken and curry, 10% alcohol; clean, aromatic and off-dry – like cold, fast running creek water with flowers in it. I don’t know a better wine for the food we had and it was praised by novice and wine geek alike. Lovely.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Recent tastes

by Salil » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:47 pm

Donnhoff and tandoori chicken... mmm. :D

Given that I just picked up some of the '08 QBA a few days ago, I think I know what to make this weekend.