The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Spanish Lunch w/ Txakolí, Central Coast "Rhône" & Rioja.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Spanish Lunch w/ Txakolí, Central Coast "Rhône" & Rioja.

by Noel Ermitano » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:23 pm

Lunch today was at La Tienda, organized by Miguel - one more wine-filled meal before he heads to Spain anew...for even more wine-filled meals, I expect. Just 4 of us for lunch: Miguel, Keiichi, Jean d'Orival and I.

We've missed eating at La Tienda since Javi went on his annual vacation back home to San Sebastián, so, now that he's finally back, we were raring to go. We started off with several appetizers and Javi had a few different ones for us today:

Pan con Anchoas y Olivada
(a slice of toasted baguette drizzled with olive oil and topped with fresh anchovies and tapenade)

Sardinas Fritas

Pimientos Rellenos de Bacalao

Escalivadas (of course we had to have this, no meal is complete in La Tienda without it)

With all these, we had a bottle of:

2008 Itsas Mendi 7 Txakolí - My bottle, from a batch that Miguel brought in for me from Spain. Txakolí is a traditional Basque wine (made of hondarrabi zuri grapes) from the D.O. Bizkaiko Txakolina, particularly from Guernica (or "Gernika" as the Basques spell it). The only other txakolí I've tried was the 2008 Txomin Etxaniz(24 June 2009, lunch at La Tienda). Of the 2008 Itsas Mendi 7, this is the second bottle I've opened, the first one very recently at Miguel A's (why are so many Spanish-mestizo friends named "Miguel"?) 12 September 2009 dinner at Elbert's Steak Room. My notes of that bottle, still applicable, are as follows:

Txakolí is a very dry, light, vaguely spritzy white wine that is meant to be enjoyed casually and young. This particular one was not as spritzy as the Txomin Etxaniz of the same vintage and was notably fruitier, with a more pronounced and rounded middle. The dominant flavors are bone dry ripe grapefruit, green apple, bit of citrus with nuances of fresh grass and white seashell. There is a lip-smacking faint bitterness towards the back and in the somewhat abrupt, dry finish that makes me want to take the next sip as fast as possible. Very recommendable as an apéritif with, I imagine, fresh shellfish.

Probably due to its fruitier and rounder character, Javi opined that it resembled an albariño and, noting that Itsas Mendi is located in inland Guernica, explained that txakolí is traditionally made in areas closer to the sea - such as in the case of the aforementioned Txomin Etxaniz (located in seaside Getaria, D.O. Getariako Txakolina, which, incidentally, is a mere 30-35 kilometers west of Javi's hometown of San Sebastián). I could easily be wrong, but perhaps the inland terroir of Guernica gives less stress to the vines and, hence, makes the Itsas Mendi fruitier and rounder? I'll have to consult PhD in Oenology JC de Terry (expert in all edible/drinkable things Spanish) about this.

Well, Javi obviously favored the Txomin Etxaniz over the Itsas Mendi. I thought it was maybe because the Getariako Txakolina wines are "closer to home"? Well, I know Jancis Robinson thinks Txomin Etxaniz is the best producer of its area, for whatever that is worth. Personally, I agree with Javi in that the fruitier Itsas Mendi 7 resembles an albariño, but think that it is more easily approachable for it. I do like both, though. Problem is, Miguel and I have no more of the Txomin Etxaniz.

The table was then cleared for the:

Chuleton with a small order of Paella de Verduras with basmati rice (no picture) and...

The Reds.

2005 Tablas Creek Vineyard Esprit de Beaucastel - Keiichi's bottle. From the name, it was obvious that this wine is a product of some sort of American tie-up with the Rhône heavyweight, Château de Beaucastel. A quick check reveals that Tablas Creek Vineyard is, indeed, a joint venture between Beaucastel and Vineyard Brands' Joseph Haas. Interestingly, Tablas Creek is located in Paso Robles where I visited once to attend the annual pre-Hospices de Rhône dinner of Augie Hug (Hug Cellars) in early May 2006. Had I known about this tie-up, I would have tried to arrange a visit to Tablas Creek.

In any event, this wine is made up of mourvèdre (44%), 26% grenache, syrah (25%) and counoise (5%), the vines of which were grown from cuttings which came from Beaucastel's estate, the grapes fermented in stainless steel tanks, crushed, blended and aged in huge 1200-gallon French oak foudres until bottled in May 2007 (info from Tablas Creek's website).

Though initially apprehensive about this young Central Coast Rhône blend, (yes, because of my admitted Franco-centricity), from the initial sniff, I found its lightly musky, slightly gamey/meaty/sauvage black cherry, blueberry and olive scents did call to mind Beaucastel's Châteauneuf-du-Pape (note that this wasn't tasted blind though). Quite fragrant, actually, and I did not find it at all hot on the nose despite its 14.5% abv. In the mouth, it was easily approachable, its warm fruit (some underlying dark plum in there) surprisingly soft and pliant on a quietly full body. The wood is also surprisingly well in check and seems better-integrated than its youth would make one expect.

Still a bit primary at this young age, I found it drinking very well already, with a good chance of added complexity with a few more years in bottle (maybe 3-5 years). At a modest/reasonable P2375/bottle full retail at Premium Wine Exchange (approximately US$49.50), I recommend it with confidence.

2005 Bodegas Ramón Bilbao Rioja Mirto - Miguel's bottle, decanted for around 45 minutes to an hour before we got to it. I am aware of the maker, an old name, but am not familiar with their wines. It does, however, seem to cast a French shadow in that I did not detect any American oak (traditionally used in Rioja). Deeply-veined, earthy fruit (black cherry and blackberry with a whisper of violets) suggest old vines. Not overly ripe or extracted (a good thing for me), there is a good amount of submerged leather and toasty oak, the wood very smoothly blended in and not obtrusive. Fairly firmly structured, bordering on full-bodied, rich but not at all over-bearing, I like this style of Rioja - it makes me think of a young 1996 Beronia Gran Reserva which I really liked. Nice.

Unfortunately, this is not locally available. Miguel brought this back with him from Spain. Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

After a few more stories and cigarettes, we parted ways. Lovely lunch, enjoyed the food as usual. It was great to get to eat Javi's food again. We'll surely be back.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Spanish Lunch w/ Txakolí, Central Coast "Rhône" & Rioja.

by Rahsaan » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:29 pm

I like the way you bring out all that full-flavored food (anchovies, tapenade, red peppers) from the beginning of the meal and are not afraid to pour white wines with them. The tingling Txakolí probably helps make it nice and refreshing.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Noel, great writeup on the wines...but what an excellent portrayal of the food. Cucina La Tienda looks fantastic!

Wow!
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:18 am

Rahsaan wrote:I like the way you bring out all that full-flavored food (anchovies, tapenade, red peppers) from the beginning of the meal and are not afraid to pour white wines with them. The tingling Txakolí probably helps make it nice and refreshing.

Thanks! I never hesitate to make regional pairings (actually, I most always pair regionally/traditionally - as much as possible, anyway). In this instance, however, the pairing menu was made by thr chef, Javi Lecumberri, who, as mentioned, is Basque, from San Sebastián. I left the dishes to him as he knows Basque wines and dishes infinitely more than I do. While the escalivadas are known to be more Catalán than Basque (the verb "escalivar" - is a verb in Catalán, not used in Castillan), I'm sure grilled vegetables cropped up everywhere in Spain and elsewhere in the world. We didn't have the usual kokotxas de bacalao this time as there were no available fish ganglions at the time.

Yes, definitely, this txakolí (though a fruitier and rounder + less spritzy type) cleansed and refreshed the palate between bites - needed more with the bacalao-stuffed peppers.

Hoke wrote:]Noel, great writeup on the wines...but what an excellent portrayal of the food. Cucina La Tienda looks fantastic!

Wow!

Hi, Hoke, and thanks. Yes, Javi makes really good, hearty, rustic Spanish food. Always comforting and always a treat.

Best to you both,

N
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:31 am

Eating farmers sausage here with my red Portuguese wine but thinking of the fried sardines you were so lucky to taste. Thanks Noel.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:33 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Eating farmers sausage here with my red Portuguese wine but thinking of the fried sardines you were so lucky to taste. Thanks Noel.

Ha ha ha, anytime, Bob.

As an aside, in reponse to my inquiry, the winery informed me that, among others, the blend of the 2008 Itsas Mendi nº7 is 80% Hondarrabi zuri and 20% Riesling from a specific 2 hectare (appx. 5 acres) vineyard; the wine spends some time on its lees. The nº7 is made only in certain years and should age well for 3-4 years they claim.

Buenas tardes Luis:

Este vino esta elaborado con un 80% de Hondarrabi zuri y un 20% de Riesling. La variedad Folle blanche es una variedad de muy poco valor enologico, hay algunas plantaciones pequeñas en Bizkaia pero tienen muy poco grado alcoholico y mucha acidez.

El Itsasmendi 7 es un txakoli madurado varios meses en deposito, que se embotella en su mejor momento y que la crianza en botella le aporta complejidad. Evoluciona favorablemente durante 3-4 años.

La producción es un de un viñedo de 2 has con unas características muy especiales.

Gracias por tu interés. Te adjunto una foto del viñedo con el que elaboramos el Itsasmendi 7

Gari
http://www.bodegasitsasmendi.com
Barrio Arane,3 48300 Gernika (Bizkaia) Spain
tfn: +34 946 270 316 fax: +34 946 251 032
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Noel, you can take me to lunch any time you wish! :D

I'm not only a fan of Spanish cooking in general, but of Basque cuisine in particular. Some of the best---the absolute best---food I've ever enjoyed was in Basque country, and though that was several years ago I still remember the dishes vividly. It inspired me to find an obscure little book of stories and rustic recipes from the Basque country, and doing several dinners for friends with Basque themes.

You mentioned kokotzas, which I assume in the Castilian would be cocochas---that was one of my , first revelatory dishes in Spain, cocochas de merluza.

The only thing missing from your lunch to make it perfect in my book would be a simmering bowl of pochas! :D Possibly because I first experienced pochas, cocochas, menestra and escalivadas all within one marvellous day.

Again, thank you for a wonderful report.
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:46 am

Hoke wrote:Noel, you can take me to lunch any time you wish! :D

It would be my pleasure if you ever get to Manila, Hoke.

You mentioned kokotzas, which I assume in the Castilian would be cocochas---that was one of my , first revelatory dishes in Spain, cocochas de merluza.

Yes, that's the same thing. I've not had the merluza one, just...

Kokotxas de bacalao al Pilpil - we had to bring in the bacalao ganglions all the way from Spain; and,...

This one is also cooked "al Pilpil", but the fish ganglions came from our local grouper called "lapu-lapu", a.k.a., Miniatia Grouper or Coral Grouper (Cephalopholis miniata). I actually prefer it to the one made out of bacalao ganglions.

The only thing missing from your lunch to make it perfect in my book would be a simmering bowl of pochas! :D Possibly because I first experienced pochas, cocochas, menestra and escalivadas all within one marvellous day.

Mmmm...pochas...we usually have "fabada" here. Nice. Given the choice, though, I'd go for lentejas con chorizo first. This is making me hungry!

Again, thank you for a wonderful report.

My pleasure!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:33 pm

Hoke wrote:Noel, you can take me to lunch any time you wish! :D

I'm not only a fan of Spanish cooking in general, but of Basque cuisine in particular. Some of the best---the absolute best---food I've ever enjoyed was in Basque country, and though that was several years ago I still remember the dishes vividly. It inspired me to find an obscure little book of stories and rustic recipes from the Basque country, and doing several dinners for friends with Basque themes.

Noel, if you do have Hoke over for lunch, please include me in the invitation, too. :D

I am still deficient in exploring Spain and all things Spanish, but my two entrées to Spain so far have been El País Vasco and Catalunya and I've been wowed with both experiences. I agree with you completely about the food there.

Many thanks for the stimulating notes and photos,
Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Mark and Hoke, I am in too. Can we fly out of Vancouver?
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:09 am

Mark and Bob,

Of course, anytime either (or both) of you are in Manila, it would also be my great pleasure to take you to lunch or dinner. Just let me know when you will be here.

Best,

N