The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Bewildering Burgundy

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

Bewildering Burgundy

by David Mc » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:49 pm

As I mentioned in a previous post, my drinking strategy is to focus on one type of wine per month. Well, October is Pinot Noir month! So my plan is to focus on 2007 Pinor Noirs in the $30 price range and vary the region.

I have decided to tour the west coast, starting with Washington State, then to Oregon, and finally California (selecting 2 from CA). I then decided to select a Burgundy to compare the US Pinot Noirs to French PN (I am also going to throw in a Chablis to keep the wife happy!).

Then things got difficult.

I consulted "The Wine Bible" to get an understanding of Burgundy region and help me select a representative wine from the region. And basically the advice was: you're on your own. What I mean is that according to Karen MacNeil, the variation varies so much from year-to-year and producer-to-producer, selecting Burgundy is a trail-and-error experience. That's where you come in.

I want to get a representative Burgundy for about $30 (I can be talked into a higher amount). From my research, it's best to get a village or premium Cru wine from wither Côte de Beaune or Côte de Nuits.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Dave
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Bewildering Burgundy

by Daniel Rogov » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:59 pm

David, Hi....

Burgundy is not nearly the crap-shoot that some would have us believe. What is important, however, is a knowledge of the various producers and the classifications of their wines.

Considering that you probably do not want to devote a year to all of that, may I suggest that you pay a visit to your favorite wine shop,make a list of the Burgundy wines in stock that meet your price qualifications and post the details of those wines here so that we can provide you with tasting notes that might serve as guides.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:04 pm

I second Rogov's motion. I think you can get a very nice Bourgogne or perhaps a village wine for your $30 (maybe $35-$40) that wil do quite nicely for you. Premier Cru is likely out of reach at your price point - at least good ones.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:58 am

Since you're in the DC area, you should check out McArthur, which is having a 30 percent off sale on Burgundies through tomorrow (http://www.bassins.com/newsletters/2009 ... 9/sale.php)

(FYI, I have no financial interest in the store, I'm just a periodic customer.)

There are quite a few sub-$30 wines available, even some under $20. Some possibilities off the top of my head might be the Hudelot-Noellat 2006 Bourgogne, Leclerc 2005 Bourgogne and Jadot 2005 Santenay Clos Malte, all for $20; Lignier 2004 Morey Saint Denis VV for $24; Clos Salomon 2005 Givry 1er Cru for $27; Jadot 2005 Savigny les Beaune Dominode or Lafarge 2003 Volnay for $30 (the latter is a great producer but from a too-hot year); and Amiot 2005 Chassagne Montrachet Clos St. Jean or Potel 2005 Volnay VV for $33. You can even get an 11-year-old Volnay from Rossignol for $20, though I have no idea if it will be too old.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:31 am

Of the list provided by Bruce I might recommend the Potel Volnay VV or the Jadot Santenay Clos Malte. I think village wines tend to outperform the bourgogne rouge category.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 am

JC (NC) wrote:Of the list provided by Bruce I might recommend the Potel Volnay VV or the Jadot Santenay Clos Malte. I think village wines tend to outperform the bourgogne rouge category.

Yes, but that 05 Jadot Santenay was pretty tight and tannic a year ago and I can only imagine how much worse it is now. Might not be the best 'representation' of Burgundy for David.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:30 am

Good point, Rahsaan. The Volnay would likely be less tannic.