The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Poll: Oldest wine we've tasted

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

What is the age of the oldest vintage-dated wine you have tasted?

< 10 yrs
4%
10 - 19 yrs
4%
20 - 29 yrs
10%
30 - 39 yrs
13%
40 - 49 yrs
15%
50 - 59 yrs
4%
60 - 69 yrs
4%
70 - 79 yrs
8%
80 - 89 yrs
12%
90 - 99 yrs
2%
100 - 124 yrs
4%
125 - 149 yrs
6%
150 - 174 yrs
6%
175 - 199 yrs
4%
> 200 yrs
6%

Total votes : 52
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: Poll: Oldest wine we've tasted

by Ryan M » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks everyone for participating! We've got enough responses here for some decent statistics. I'd like to encourage anyone who has participated to do so - I think everyone is finding this as informative and interesting.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:05 am

Is that a kind of Poisson distribution? 8)
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:42 pm

I tasted that '25 sauternes. I believe it was a Doissy Verdines, but I could be mistaken.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

by Ryan M » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:08 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Is that a kind of Poisson distribution? 8)

I've been musing on this, and it's not obvious to me what kind of distribution it should be. Poisson should describe only the responses in each bin. One usually expects a Gaussian, and perhaps that would be the limiting case if you polled the general population. The results here are very ad hoc, but you can still define a mode, median, and mean. Perhaps a cumulative distribution might tell us more . . . . perhaps I'll try that a bit later on.

On another note, this is my 1000th post! Don't know if I should view that as an accomplishment, or a warning . . . .
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)
no avatar
User

Peter Gatti

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:10 am

Austin, Texas

by Peter Gatti » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:19 pm

1815 Port, labelled "Waterloo" for obvious reasons, English shipper (Avery's, I believe), reconditioned and certified with attendant documents, drunk in 1995 at the ripe age of 180 years. A very delicate tawny in style, but still very much alive, and a lovely drink. Purchased from Morrell's auction in 1994.
Be good to yourself...

Peter

Disclosure: I run a small wine and spirits shop in Austin, Texas.
no avatar
User

Alan Gardner

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:41 pm

Toronto

by Alan Gardner » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:06 am

James Roscoe wrote:I tasted that '25 sauternes. I believe it was a Doissy Verdines, but I could be mistaken.

Close, it was actually a 1925 Ch. Doisy (no modifier, as back then it was all one vineyard). Indeed dried out, but still a great waxy mouthfeel and very long finish.
I brought it to the Bordeaux 5*5 MoCool (actually the pre-party) - it was the obvious choice(and my last bottle)!
no avatar
User

Tom N.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:17 pm

Soo, Ont.

by Tom N. » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:19 pm

Alan Gardner wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:I tasted that '25 sauternes. I believe it was a Doissy Verdines, but I could be mistaken.

Close, it was actually a 1925 Ch. Doisy (no modifier, as back then it was all one vineyard). Indeed dried out, but still a great waxy mouthfeel and very long finish.
I brought it to the Bordeaux 5*5 MoCool (actually the pre-party) - it was the obvious choice(and my last bottle)!

Hi Alan,

Thank you for bringing it. I am glad you brought it, because it was one of the most memorable wines of the Bordeaux 5X5 tasting for me. A dry dessert wine is definitely an unusual and interesting experience. As a matter of fact, the 14 year old Vidal icewine I had this past weekend was still quite sweet but I thought I could detect it drying out a bit. as It did not seem quite as sweet as most Ontario icewines that I have tasted that were of recent vintages.
Tom Noland
Good sense is not common.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:35 pm

Alan Gardner wrote:

Alan, I want to thank you as well. Really one of my most memorable wines of all-time! A brilliant drink.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
Previous