The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

News: David Lake passed away...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

News: David Lake passed away...

by Hoke » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:14 pm

One of the great gentlemen of the wine world, David Lake, passed away.

I had the pleasure and privilege of meeting David a few times----but not often enough---over the years. He was one of the most gentle and soft spoken of men, had a massive knowledge of wine, and for several years was the pioneering winemaker of Columbia Winery in Washington.

David was, among other things, passionate about developing and recognizing some single vineyard sites in Washington, as well as showcasing Syrah and Cabernet Franc from those sites. I remember fondly doing some barrel and tank tastings with him several years ago---back when Columbia was still a great winery and one of the hard-charging pioneers of production for WA.

Did a couple of judgings with David as well, and he always impressed me---and everyone who knew him---for his calm, knowledgeable, thorough and confident approach to everything he did. He was one of the best team captains I've ever worked with---a true authority without any need to dominate other than through his sheer competence.

And David, for all his quietness, was always...always...pushing the envelope, especially with the hearty reds. He made some delicious wines, but never for the faint of heart or palate. :)

I felt privileged to know him, and to spend time with him. And I know many, many people will mourn and miss him.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: News: David Lake passed away...

by Jenise » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Sad. He was one of the true pioneers in this state. Thanks for the tribute, Hoke.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes I saw this earlier and almost posted a note, but I didn't feel like I was the right person to post the thread. Having only discovered his wines this year, I'd already posted here on how I enjoyed what he produced. I've got a bottle of Syrah ready to open, so will find a quiet evening to toast the man soon. Might even be able to pick up another bottle (tomorrow) of the 1996 Otis Vineyard Cabernet that I've previously enjoyed. Very much an elegant style you could easily call it wrong as being old world.

regards

Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Hoke, obviously I have never met the man, but I've drank many a bottle of his wines. We need more like him in the business, not less. Tis a sad report on the one hand, but you do him an honor with your report.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:58 am

Bob Henrick wrote:Hoke, obviously I have never met the man, but I've drank many a bottle of his wines. We need more like him in the business, not less. Tis a sad report on the one hand, but you do him an honor with your report.

Very nicely said Bob H. My first intro to Washington wines was a David Lake red. I purchased 3 cases for a restaurant I was involved with. The manager was not sure they would sell (Washington wine?) so I trained the staff on hand-selling. Sold out in 3 weeks!