The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Many Pinot Noirs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Many Pinot Noirs

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:32 am

Very short notes from Jojo's birthday lunch at the very fine Hai Shin Lou Restaurant last Monday.

Jacquesson Rose 2003 - Very deep cherry color. Possibly the darkest rose Champagne I've come across. Lots of fruit and quite fresh. Very good and friendly but quite primary at this stage. Very interesting.

Beaux Freres Beaux Freres Vineyard 2001 - Smoky, sweet fruit. Rich. Just about perfect now. My favorite in this lineup.

Chehalem Reserve 2003 - I've had a couple of Chehalems before but was never impressed by them. Finally, this one not bad for me. Very dark. Quite sweet and smooth. Very sweet finish.

Merry Edwards 2003 - Roasted meat. Rather acidic. Unbalanced. Not showing well.

Domaine Serene Evenstad 2003 - Way too oaky for my taste. Not my type.

Escarpment 2005 - From New Zealand. A bit spritzy and rustic.

Saintsbury Toyon Farm 2006 - Softish, dry. Didn't make much of an impression.

Shea Wine Cellars Shea Vineyard 2006 - Sweet and oaky.

Freeman Keefer Ranch 2006 - Strawberry. Lots of acidity but finishes rather sweet.

It was a bit tough going through all these. After a while, it was really hard to concentrate. I suppose the boisterous company and the excellent food made it tough to really pay attention to the wine. In any case, it was a great lunch and many thanks to Jojo for the treat.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Many Pinot Noirs

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 am

Jay Labrador wrote:It was a bit tough going through all these. After a while, it was really hard to concentrate...

Would it have been easier if they were red Burgundies! :wink:
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:55 pm

The oak reference on the Domaine Serene is disturbing. I've never noticed overt oak in any of their wines. I'm not sure which vintages of the Evenstad I've had- 2003 doesn't ring any bells though.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:14 pm

Doug Surplus wrote:The oak reference on the Domaine Serene is disturbing. I've never noticed overt oak in any of their wines. I'm not sure which vintages of the Evenstad I've had- 2003 doesn't ring any bells though.

I've enjoyed a couple of Dom. Serene wines before and I don't think I've noted any heavy-handedness with oak. Hope this is a one-off thing.
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jay Labrador wrote:It was a bit tough going through all these. After a while, it was really hard to concentrate...

Would it have been easier if they were red Burgundies! :wink:

On the other hand, it might have been more frustrating!
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:55 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:
Doug Surplus wrote:The oak reference on the Domaine Serene is disturbing. I've never noticed overt oak in any of their wines. I'm not sure which vintages of the Evenstad I've had- 2003 doesn't ring any bells though.

I've enjoyed a couple of Dom. Serene wines before and I don't think I've noted any heavy-handedness with oak. Hope this is a one-off thing.

Several years ago, I tried out the 2001 (June 2005) and 2002 (September 2005). Looking back at these old notes, it seems like the 2002 had more overt oak than the 2001, but I made no mention of it being unduly obtrusive.

The '02 saw 15 months in 70% new French oak barrels. The '03 saw marginally more oak exposure at 16 months in 74% new French oak barrels. I can't find the oak rearing info on the '01 though.