The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New Rhones...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New Rhones...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:11 pm

We tasted last week (9/23/09) Some New Rhones:
1. Jaffurs GrenacheBlanc ThompsonVnyd/SBC (13.8%) 2008: Light gold color; slight petrol/valve
oil very floral/melony/perfumed/spicy slight nutmeg nose; tart rich/lush spicy/petrol/valve oil
very floral/perfumed lovely flavor; very long tart/structured very floral/spicy/valve oil/petrol finish;
an unusual and beautiful/unique rendition of Calif GB. $30.00
boysenberry finish w/ some tannins; needs several months to settle down I suspect; another terrific
Jaffurs SBC Syrah at a great price. $25.00
quite fumey/alcoholic some blackberry/Syrah nose; soft bit tannic/hard slight blackberry/Syrah
some minty/menthol spicy/rosemary flavor; med.long soft bit hard/tannic some fumey/alcoholic
fairly minty/menthol slight blackberry/Syrah finish; needs a yr or 3 but rather on the overripe/
alcoholic side. $16.00
roasted slight blackberry/Syrah rather bizarre if interesting nose; rather sour some earthy/loamy/
unclean bit roasted/Rhonish/espresso light blackberry/Syrah light tannic strange flavor; long sour
earthy/loamy/shoe polish slight roasted/Rhonish bit tannic finish; needs a few yrs; a rather bizarre
Syrah that I kinda liked, but most people really disliked because of it's unclean nature; definitely
what old-time British writers referred to as "gout de terroir". Fairlt priced if you like weird.
$34.00
peppery light toasty/oak some blackberry/Syrah finish; nice pepper character but a bit short on
fruit; somewhat disappointing given the buzz about this wine. $24.00
cherry/Syrah light toasty/oak bit hot finish; huge classic BN fruit but some tannins & structure
lurking underneath. $38.00
light toasty/oak bit alcoholic flavor; very long/lingering intense blackberry/blueberry/Syrah slight
peppery/menthol bit alcoholic finish w/ ample tannins; my favorite of these Jaffurs Syrah because
of the higher acidity and more interesting character; stunning Syrah. $46.00
finish; seems a bit simpler than the others but very big fruit. $38.00
some toasty/charred/oak bit tannic finish; seems more balanced/seamless and less alcoholic than the
others; a very well-made wine that should go out 10-15 yrs; beautiful Syrah. $75.00
balanced flavor; very long/lingering strong blackberry/Syrah some peppery/herbal/green olive bit
Rhonish/roasted finish w/ some tannins; will go out 10-15 yrs; all about restraint and balance; one
of the best Qupes ever. $55.00
color; strong blackberry/Syrah/spicy/blueberry bit earthy/Rhonish nose; soft bit fat attractive
blackberry/Syrah some chocolaty/earth pleasant flavor; med.long soft/fat lush/blackberry/Syrah/
blueberry/chocolate finish w/ modest tannins; some like the McCrea in style w/ big fruit; lacks
the terroir expression of some WashState Syrahs; a pleasant Syrah but just that. $30.00
the above; they petrol character gave it a very unique aromatics. It had good acidity & structure.
A very lovely/well-made Calif GB; maybe the best I've yet had. This is how they'd make GB at
Ch.Rayas if they could.
Parker likes. That said, I thought they all carried the alcohol well and didn't seem over the top.
It will be interesting to see how/if they evolve w/ this ripeness level. Of these, Parker liked the
BienNacido the best (96) and the Ampelos least so. As usual, he's got it bass-ackwards. The cool-
climate Ampelos shows much more acid and far more interesting things than the BienNacido.
Syrah Block in BienNacido, down on the flats, where his original/post-Paso Syrah came from. The
Hillside Estate comes from a somewhat newer planting way up on top of the hillside ridge just south
of the wnry. These, too, are exceptional Syrahs. Bob thinks, with vine age, it may eventually exceed
the X Block in quality.
Hard to believe Bob has been making Syrah for over 25 yrs now. Followed him from the very start...
I did, I did.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Some New Rhones...(long/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:01 pm

Tom; Rayas does make a white, and I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't have a big slug of Grenache Blanc in it. Whether it tastes anything like what Craig bottled... maybe the Shadow nose...?
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup....

by TomHill » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Tom; Rayas does make a white, and I'd be pretty surprised if it didn't have a big slug of Grenache Blanc in it. Whether it tastes anything like what Craig bottled... maybe the Shadow nose...?

At one time, presumably still, the RayasBlanc was 100% GrenacheBlanc. Not had it in a few yrs. Lots of floral aromatics but more structure
and some stony/minerally character. They tended to be pretty underwhelming out the gate, but became very interesting at 10-20 yrs.
Tom