The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN:2001 Borut Reja Pinot Grigio

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

WTN:2001 Borut Reja Pinot Grigio

by Agostino Berti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:38 pm

This wine is from the Goriska Brda which means hills of Gorizia (Gorica in Slovene), a now Italian city. It is a border area between Italy and Slovenia. Sometime after WWII they divided this area up and Italy took the city of Gorizia which had a lot of Slovene inhabitants. The hills sorrounding the city were also carved up. In Italy its known as Collio ("home of Italy's finest whites") in Slovenia its Goriska Brda. In facts its one area and Slovenia has about 70% and I think the best vineyards which are also less contaminated and hillier than on the Italian side. Anyways...

Borut Reja is a young, humble wine producer who farms 5 hectares of grapevines. When I went to visit him he had a lot of back vintages. He's not a great marketer, but I wouldn't say his wines are shabby. I've had a few. (And some delicious grappa too - with cherries macerated in it, herbs, apricots, etc.)

I was not expecting much from his 2001 Sivi Pinot (Slovenian for Pinot Grigio)- who has ever heard of ageing Pinot Grigio? - but in fact, wow, good stuff. Not over the hill at all. Rich color, dark yellow. The nose is nice, kind of a yeasty, champagney, bread crust nose. The mouth is very good, medium bodied, tasty, balanced and characterful finish, with that Slovenian fresh water accent. Believe it or not this went great with some super fresh sausage (they killed the pig next door yesterday, no lie, a real butcher of course) with some Ajvar (a Balkan spicy cream of red peppers and vegetables.) The point is this wine went down. It passed the Kermit Lynch test: the bottle is empty.

Cheers,
Agostino
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN:2001 Borut Reja Pinot Grigio

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:44 am

Thanks for these reports on wines that are off the beaten track. I also appreciate the bits of background information that you include.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN:2001 Borut Reja Pinot Grigio

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Otto must be busy, he is a fan of this area if I remember correctly.

Great post again from Agostino. (Reminder to self, open a Movia soon).