The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Chateau Haut Brion

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Doug Cromwell

Rank

Cellar rat

Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:11 pm

WTN: 1999 Chateau Haut Brion

by Doug Cromwell » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:35 pm

We celebrated the wife's birthday this past weekend. In order to mask her age we never serve birth year bottles, but instead pull bottles from years where we experienced a significant event. 1999 was the year we were finally able to stop making house payments. The wine selection improved dramatically from then on.

The Haut Brion was decanted while I finished the prep on dinner. Given my limited culinary skills we stuck to steak, baked potato and salad, but since we are both die hard carnivores that was no problem. Besides, the Haut Brion was the star of the show. It was really too soon for this one, but it opened up nicely over dinner, with plenty of fruit as well as some emerging Bordeaux aromas (tobacco, cedar, warm earth and leather types of scents). The balance is what is so lovely about the wine, with the structure just melting into the fruit the way the fat of the ribeye melted into each bite of meat.

Jeannie declared it a success, and that's really all that matters.
no avatar
User

Agostino Berti

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Re: WTN: 1999 Chateau Haut Brion

by Agostino Berti » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:43 pm

Thanks for the great note. :D
“Seekers of gold dig up much earth and find little.”
― Heraclitus
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:04 pm

Doug Cromwell wrote:The balance is what is so lovely about the wine, with the structure just melting into the fruit the way the fat of the ribeye melted into each bite of meat.

Great line! I only wish I had some of this to drink.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:54 pm

Wow. How did I miss this note. Thanks so much Doug. Can we come to dinner at your house?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:24 pm

Doug Cromwell wrote:We celebrated the wife's birthday this past weekend. In order to mask her age we never serve birth year bottles, but instead pull bottles from years where we experienced a significant event. 1999 was the year we were finally able to stop making house payments. The wine selection improved dramatically from then on.

The Haut Brion was decanted while I finished the prep on dinner. Given my limited culinary skills we stuck to steak, baked potato and salad, but since we are both die hard carnivores that was no problem. Besides, the Haut Brion was the star of the show. It was really too soon for this one, but it opened up nicely over dinner, with plenty of fruit as well as some emerging Bordeaux aromas (tobacco, cedar, warm earth and leather types of scents). The balance is what is so lovely about the wine, with the structure just melting into the fruit the way the fat of the ribeye melted into each bite of meat.

Jeannie declared it a success, and that's really all that matters.

Sounds a wonderful meal and event. I can almost smell & taste it. :-)

Cheers, Dave C
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT