The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Domaine Rimbert Saint-Chinian

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2007 Domaine Rimbert Saint-Chinian

by Jenise » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:48 pm

I can't remember the last time I had a wine from Saint-Chinian. I can't even remember picking one up in a wine store and putting it down in favor of another wine. In fact, the name, though not unfamiliar, is buried so long ago in my past that I had to look it up again tonight to reaquaint myself with whatever I previously understood. And I learned, in case you dear reader are in the same boat as myself, that it's from a small parcel in the Languedoc of about 20 villages that produces about 16 million bottles per year, of which 90% is red wine. The grapes are carignan, syrah, grenache, mourvedre and cinsault.

What I have in my glass is a wine with dense strawberry fruit, heavily smoked meats, pepper and quite a bit of that baby fat tuitti fruitti-ness some very young red wines (in my experience, usually containing syrah) can have and which blows off after a year or three in the bottle. After an hour in the glass the fruit starts to recede slightly and leave the acid holding the bag, but all this seems to portend well for a wine one might wish to leave alone for that day in the near future when that baby fat blows off and the wine has put on some weight. I don't think it's a long-termer, but it could last three to eight years from vintage date and it will be a real treat to see what comes of it: especially for $9.89 a bottle. Oh, the full name: 2007 Domaine Rimbert Les Travers de Marceau, Saint-Chinian.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Marcelo Maia Rosa

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: WTN: 2007 Domaine Rimbert Saint-Chinian

by Marcelo Maia Rosa » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:15 am

What a coincidence! I bought 2 bottle of this Chinian last week... I think this is one of good exemples of wine not over prices here.
I will put my notes here for sure!
Thanks for the lovely notes!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:29 am

Don't you love it when you post about some obscure little wine and it turns out someone else has it, too? It's even more fun when we're continents apart. I'll look forward to reading your impressions. (I bought a case of this, btw, and I'm sure glad.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:18 am

Just last Friday, I found myself in Washington DC for dinner at a good friend’s house who had just returned from her newly-purchased home in the Languedoc. Here’s a TN of a bottle that she served, and which she brought from Languedoc.

2004 Domaine Rimbert La Mas Schiste, Saint-Chinian
Medium bodied, quite austere, ripe, can probably use a few more cellar time, a good food wine.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Marcelo Maia Rosa

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

by Marcelo Maia Rosa » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:01 am

Finally i opened a Bottle and there it is...
Aromas of fresh red fruit, mainly cheery, almost green, for sure a "tuitti fruitti-ness", little drops and something tropical like coconut water (not at all coco nut from oak). After a wile some hints of Sulfur, like powder and really like this!
Normally this aspect sowed by Jenise, bored me a lot. I don't like at all baby truti fruitnes, but this wine shows to me a more structured fruit, thats change this aspect for a very interest aspect.
In the mouth is really more respectable. Soft tannins, vary good acidity an mainly flavored and really nice and well balance. what a like more, is that in one hand is a simple and young wine, in the other, shows a lots of deferents aspect, and have distinction. For the price, is wonderful.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:31 am

Jenise wrote:Don't you love it when you post about some obscure little wine and it turns out someone else has it, too? )

Where did you get this, Garagiste? On East Coast it's a Jenny and Francois Selection. My friend Fred is a J&F rep, he did a tasting of the wines last spring, this is was my fave of night. Split a case with friends. Had last night, will write up shortly
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:41 am

Dale Williams wrote:
Jenise wrote:Don't you love it when you post about some obscure little wine and it turns out someone else has it, too? )

Where did you get this, Garagiste? On East Coast it's a Jenny and Francois Selection.

It's also a Kermit Lynch wine and has always been what I considered one of the 'standard' names for Saint-Chinian (not that I study the area very much). Very common in Paris wine shops as well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:17 am

Marcelo Maia Rosa wrote:Image
Finally i opened a Bottle and there it is...
Aromas of fresh red fruit, mainly cheery, almost green, for sure a "tuitti fruitti-ness", little drops and something tropical like coconut water (not at all coco nut from oak). After a wile some hints of Sulfur, like powder and really like this!
Normally this aspect sowed by Jenise, bored me a lot. I don't like at all baby truti fruitnes, but this wine shows to me a more structured fruit, thats change this aspect for a very interest aspect.
In the mouth is really more respectable. Soft tannins, vary good acidity an mainly flavored and really nice and well balance. what a like more, is that in one hand is a simple and young wine, in the other, shows a lots of deferents aspect, and have distinction. For the price, is wonderful.

Marcelo, you capture it well: at first the wine seems almost simple, but as you spend time with the wine you realize you underestimated it. This wine should be great in another year or so, although we've already drunk three, so I'm not sure they'll last!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Interesting website but too many quotes from reviewers like RP. The owner was born in Provence and appears to be a very jovial character who seems to have his hands in everything! He even designs his own labels. A must-visit for all Lanky-Dock lovers!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:45 pm

It held up fairly well overnight. That said, I'm not planning on holding past this year. I think this is a "natural"/low sulphur wine. I generally have no problem with storage, my cellar slowly ranges from about 50 to 66 F over the year. But a couple of summers hitting 66 might be pushing it for a natural wine, so plan on drinking my couple remaining this winter, one summer is enough
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:26 pm

A bit of a retraction. While I had this at a tasting of "natural" wines, I was informed Fri night that it's not as natural as the other wines we had that night this spring, it is not super low sulphur. So maybe I will let a couple rest in cellar
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks for the further information. Now I can revert to my original plan.
no avatar
User

ClarkDGigHbr

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 06, 2006 7:16 pm

Gig Harbor, WA

by ClarkDGigHbr » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:09 am

Jenise wrote:I don't think it's a long-termer, but it could last three to eight years from vintage date and it will be a real treat to see what comes of it: especially for $9.89 a bottle. Oh, the full name: 2007 Domaine Rimbert Les Travers de Marceau, Saint-Chinian.

Turns out that I have a bottle of the 2005 vintage of this wine in my collection; it was given to me by a friend. I'll be sure to open it soon to check it out.

I noticed in my database that years ago I purchased several bottles of the 1998 Mas Champart Saint-Chinian. I opened the last bottle in 2006 and was not disappointed.

-- Clark