The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Termeão Passaro Branco

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Marcelo Maia Rosa

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

WTN: Termeão Passaro Branco

by Marcelo Maia Rosa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:30 am

2005, Termeão Passaro Branco, Campolargo, Bairrada, Portugal. 14%
12 moths in old barrels oak. Touriga Nacional (75 to 80%), Castelão Nacional 10% and Cabernet Sauvignon 15%.
Very nice nose of herbaceous/herbs notes, manly thyme and a really elegant violet, ceder and dark tea aromas. More balance and a vary gastronomic body, good structure in mid palate.

I try this wine, because i liked a lot of the entry level wine from Campolargo, the vinha do Putto, a wine more easy and fruity, with a vary good price, and this Termeão is a completely different thing, more serious, less easy, but with a lot o typicality! I suggest decanted for a couple of hours.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: Termeão Passaro Branco

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:29 pm

Marcelo, it is great to see some Portugal notes here. We do not see too many, I am a big fan as many know here.
I have seen this one on the shelf downtown, must take another looksie.
Do you have a good selection where you live?
no avatar
User

Marcelo Maia Rosa

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:27 pm

by Marcelo Maia Rosa » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:14 pm

We have a quite good selection of Portuguese wine here, just the big producers... But like all wine who came from Europe, with a incredible over price. Oswaldo told me once that taxes run around 215% here in Brazil, without the profit, sounds ridiculous no? But the other side of this crime is that bizzars prices made me care much more carefully about what we drink here, giving a more attention... In general the better wines that i am able to by heare, i supose that cost something around 20u$ in USA.... so you can imagine the general level, quite limited...
About the Portuguese, I think is a middle way between the new wold and the old scholl. The new wine makers like Campolargo and manly Luiz Pato give them a new horizons.
What producer do you recommend to i look here in Brazil?
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:59 pm

Nice to chat about Portugal. We have a great selection in one store here as one of the owners is from that country.

Crasto.
Luis Pato.
Quinta da Terrugem.
Quinta de Ventozelo.
Prazo de Roriz.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:24 am

Welcome to the forum, Marcelo. As it happens I am presently in Portugal on holiday and plan to visit a number of wine producers in the North. I will do some tastings in Bairrada but have mixed feelings about what I have tried from Campolargo (back in the US). In the last year I have tried their Os Corvos and Entre II Santos tintos and, while they weren't bad wines, they didn't have anything particularly distinctive about them either. In particular, because they don't rely heavily on Baga, they didn't really speak of that region the way that Quinta das Bageiras (for exmaple) or even the inexpensive Quinta do Encontro does. And he does have a thing for barrel fermented whites (I have their Arinto at home, but haven't tried it yet), which I also have doubts about. I'll try to post some notes when I get back.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:27 pm

Lucky man Joe. Hope the weather holds up for you and look forward to pics, TNs, the works.
Will you be able to join our Open Mike: Dao later this week?
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:26 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Lucky man Joe. Hope the weather holds up for you and look forward to pics, TNs, the works.
Will you be able to join our Open Mike: Dao later this week?

I'm likely to be in the Douro later this week (and maybe Dao/Bairrada next week). Have no idea what my internet access will be like. The weather sucks right now - I'm in Coimbra and have been caught in downpours twice in two days. Saw a segment on the TV news, that, if I understood it correctly, was saying that this might be the best vintage in 20 years in the Dao. It was TV, so take if for what it is worth!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:40 am

Hi, Joe, if you go to Quinta do Crasto, look for Miguel Roquette, Export Sales / Mkt. Manager, Phone: +35122 6105493. I met him at a Wine Spectator event several years ago and he was super charming.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:36 pm

Joe.

I would think a visit to Crasto would be of much interest..especially wine library bottles!

Oswaldo, Dao Open Mike coming up. Just a reminder eh.