The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: CRB; CdR

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Steve Kirsch

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:53 pm

Detroit, MI

TN: CRB; CdR

by Steve Kirsch » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Saturday night, while our daughter and exchange student daughter were at the homecoming dance: 2005 Clos Roche Blanche "Cabernet". I put our last three bottles of this aside maybe 8 months ago, hoping time would soften it's tannic bite. Opening this bottle (with pizza, maybe not the best choice), we found the aromatics to be quite enjoyable but the tannins still persistant. If it weren't for the artificial cork I'd leave the last two bottles for another year or two, but I'll probably go back in six months and try a bottle with some Italian sausage and sweet peppers. Still, good value for the money.

Tonight: 2004 Dom. du Vieux Chene "Plan de Dieu" (50/50 grenache/syrah)--a bit thin, a bit tannic, but still an enjoyable wine. 2006 Dom. du Vieux Chene "Cuvee des Capucines" (90/10 grenache/syrah)--much warmer, more lush and approachable than the 2004. A beautiful wine for $13 from our friend Dick Scheer at Village Corner. Both of these were drunk in anticipation of the 2007 Vieux Chene that I've begun buying from VC and will give a few months (I hope) to settle down.

The dishes are washed and a warm feeling of contentment rolls over me. I think I'll fix myself a mug of tea.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: TN: CRB; CdR

by Jenise » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:34 am

Totally agree about the 06 Vieux Chene. Boggles the mind to imagine how good the 07 could be.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov