The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Altesino, Coudoulet, and Lafouge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

TN: Altesino, Coudoulet, and Lafouge

by Dale Williams » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:43 pm

So after Wednesday's bday dinner party (and driving Betsy to JFK in the wee hours), I was a bit too tired to think about opening much for Thursday night. Plenty of leftover brisket, potatoes, etc, so I opened a half bottle of the 1999 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino.A bit modern and flashy, but solid core of black cherry fruit and some lingering notes of leather and spice, just a bit of vanilla. Seemed to be drinking well now (though maybe not so much in 750). I liked but did not love, but I was really tired and that might have taken a + off this for me, B

Yet more leftovers Friday (I worked late), this time with the 2001 Coudoulet de Beaucastel (Cotes du Rhone). Some rumblings this was past it, not this bottle. Fresh red fruit, leather, herb and a hint of dung, a ripe Grenachey core but with some acidic spine. What I like in a Southern Rhone, though not overly complex. B/B+
I think this is fine for several more years, though I'll note it didn't fare well overnight (very pruney tonight).

Tonight I did pork chops in wine and garlic, red cabbage, and salad. I thought about dry Riesling,but came up with the 2007 Lafouge “Les Meix Chavaux” Meursault . Nice- quite sweet pear and lemon fruit, but with a solid line of acidity up the middle. Some floral notes, nuts, a little edge of oak. Quite good for village level Meursault. Early AM flight tomorrow, so have to leave most of bottle for Dave. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't 
drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.  
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: TN: Altesino, Coudoulet, and Lafouge

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:47 am

Sounds like another Brunello that doesn't quite live up to its billing...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:04 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Sounds like another Brunello that doesn't quite live up to its billing...

I don't know. Dale's note describes the style well, and the basic Altesino is not one of those ultra-expensive (for Brunello) cuvees.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:25 pm

Dale Williams wrote: 1999 Altesino Brunello di Montalcino.A bit modern and flashy, but solid core of black cherry fruit and some lingering notes of leather and spice, just a bit of vanilla. Seemed to be drinking well now (though maybe not so much in 750). 

Dale--
Has a recent experience with this in 750-ml format led you to say this, or just the general assumption that half bottles mature faster? I was planning to pop two 750s for a dinner party on Saturday, but may reconsider. (Also would like your opinion on this: one of our guests is Brunello-loving vegetarian. We're planning to serve grilled tuna with a quasi-romesco marinade. Based on early reviews that the 99 Altesino was in a lighter, more elegant style of Brunello, I thought it might make a decent pairing. Maybe?)

BTW, belated happy birthday. Haven't been around here in a few weeks, so sorry I missed it!
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:40 pm

Just a general assumption. 750s may well be drinking nicely, but I wouldn't say so definitively based on a half. I think the Altesino's modern style doesn't lead to ever being totally shut down, so I'd just open and give some air before dinner, I'd bet it would be fine
no avatar
User

Nigel Groundwater

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:08 pm

London, UK

by Nigel Groundwater » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:20 am

Thanks for the TNs. I will certainly try my case of the 01 Coudoulet again soon since this is the first time I've seen a [small] red flag. I have older bottles that are still drinking well but it is some time since I have had a bottle of the 01.