The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Terra Andina Reserva Carmenere 2007

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Terra Andina Reserva Carmenere 2007

by Bruce Hayes » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Rapel Valley
Sur Andino

Dark purple in the glass.

Black fruit, spicy, chocolate, some greeness on the nose.

Smoky, roasted, juicy black cherry, blackberry and strawberry, leafy, tobacco, mouthfilling and big in the mouth, mild acidity toward the end, light tannin, coffee, tarry, saturated and teeth staining, very forward and showy.

Jammy black fruit and tangy on the long finish.

Purchased at $12.95 (Canadian) and an amazing value at that price.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: Terra Andina Reserva Carmenere 2007

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:51 am

I had a glass of Errazuriz Pinot Noir over lunch yesterday whose fruit was super jammy, and had this little epiphany (that may prove wrong and simplistic) that your note also bears out: wines made from mature grapes taste like fruit, while wines made from super mature grapes taste like fruit jam. It sort of makes sense that the more you cook the fruit, even out in the field with natural sunlight and heat, the more jammy it becomes. Me no like.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:I had a glass of Errazuriz Pinot Noir over lunch yesterday whose fruit was super jammy, and had this little epiphany (that may prove wrong and simplistic) that your note also bears out: wines made from mature grapes taste like fruit, while wines made from super mature grapes taste like fruit jam. It sort of makes sense that the more you cook the fruit, even out in the field with natural sunlight and heat, the more jammy it becomes. Me no like.

I wouldn't want a steady diet of jammy, fruit forward wines either but sometimes I do enjoy a big, bold, fruity, in your face wine.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:38 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote: It sort of makes sense that the more you cook the fruit, even out in the field with natural sunlight and heat, the more jammy it becomes. Me no like.

Me neither. Which is why unless forced to do otherwise, I generally avoid wines from Lodi, Paso Robles, the Barossa and various other 'hot spots' on this planet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:47 pm

Bruce, what I meant to add earlier: don't know if you're a chardonnay drinker, but we had a recent vintage of Terra Andina chardonnay last week and it was without doubt the best Chilean chardonnay I've had. Drinks well above it's price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

by Bruce Hayes » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:58 pm

Jenise wrote:Bruce, what I meant to add earlier: don't know if you're a chardonnay drinker, but we had a recent vintage of Terra Andina chardonnay last week and it was without doubt the best Chilean chardonnay I've had. Drinks well above it's price.

Thanks for the tip Jenise. I will drink anything.....well, with some exceptions for after shave!!!

Will keep an eye out for it.