The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Piriri Hills Tasting, Kiwi Cult wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

Piriri Hills Tasting, Kiwi Cult wine

by Mark Kogos » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:39 pm

After a heads up that one of the new kiwi cult wines was being tried at a dinner in the Inner West of Sydney, I headed over to Leichhardt last night for what had to be one of the best value wine dinners I have attended in a long time. All you could drink and eat for just $65, reminded me of my old varisty days. As the winemaker is from the US, I thought some of the participants on this site might be interested in her wines, especially if you live in VA, her old home state. I have a quick look at the website for the winery and the wines are extensively sold in VA (I smell a US/NZ business trip coming on)

First up was a merlot based Puriri Rose 2007. I enjoyed the style, finding it crisp with a dash of strawberries and a dry savoury finish. It is a style that is much less fruit driven (aka fruit bomb: see Charles Melton Rose of Virginia) than comparable Australian styles and hence did generate some debate amongst the Inner West attendees. Some found the wine lacking in fruit and when we exhanged prefered rose styles, I cold understand where they were coming from but then I would go for their prefered styles as a first choice.

The meal then proceeded in a series of flights based around the 2006, 2002/2003, 2004 and finally 2005 vintages. Styled after Right Bank Bordeaux wines, the wines are a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec and Carmenere with the percentages varing quite radically from year to year and from Estate to Reserve.

Starting with the 2006 vintage, predominately Merlot based, the Estate is a garnet like red, medium bodied wine and much lighter in style than its more serious big brother the Reserve 2006. To be drunk now or over the next year or so, it has soft tannins built around red current fruit. By way of contrast the Reserve has considerably more depth of flavour and quite frankly is a far more interesting wine. Still very approachable now, again very soft silky tannins I found the flavours to include mild tobacco and spices with an overall elegant structure, think outstanding St Emillion claret from a vintage such as 2002 or 2004.

The 2002 Reserve again had lovely depth of flavour with 50% Merlot, 42% Carmenere and 8% Malbec. Not dissimilar to the 2004 with just a little more bottle age complexity coming through. The 2003 Estate, was one of my least favourite wines of the evening. On the nose I got tomato leaf and capsicum, not something I normally pick up on in wines. Again medium bodied, this finish was much shorter than the 2006 and the flavours rather vegetal. As the vines were only planted late 1990s, I suspect the increase in the age of the vines at this stage of the vineyards existance is fairly noticeable year on year.

2004 Reserve. This time the mix is 36% Merlot, 46% Carmenere, 11% Cab Franc and 7% Malbec. The bouquet on this wine was extremely deceptive, blind tasted, a number of us would have guessed Burgundy with its rose and mushroom aromas: also extremely seductive. Slightly more dark fruit style and fuller bodied but with more of the super soft tannins, again very elegant and probably my favourite wine of the evening. By way of contrast, the 2004 Estate comprised 67% Merlot, 3% Carmenere, 11% Cab Franc, cab sav 15% and 4% Malbec. Quite a different bouquet, this time more cinnamon and spice with a medium bodied ruby colour with red current flavours, some tobacco and more spices.

We were also luck enough (I think) to try the 2005 Estate, 2005 Reserve and 2005 Pope. Unfortunately the portions were miniscule and served in tiny plastic container not dissimilar to the ones I serve the kids their cough medicine in. Of the three, I actually prefered the Reserve as the palate appeared more robust than the super silky Pope with hint of white pepper and spices. Overall very enjoyable wines though my preference would always be for the Reserve. The only question is whether the wines have enough structure to really develop sufficent complexity over time to justify the price tag which is high for such a new vineyard.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: Piriri Hills Tasting, Kiwi Cult wine

by John S » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:47 pm

Is always amazes me to get plastic glasses at a tasting like this. What are they thinking?!?!

I tasted the 2005 vintage of the Puriri Hills wines at the winery last year, and I have to say I was impressed by the wines, especially given the dicey climate in the area. And the owner was a very congenial host. But I was equally astounded at the prices. The rose and the estate are relatively reasonably priced, but there were many other NZ wines available for equal or cheaper prices. I suspect that the American background of the owner may have something to do with this. It's certainly her right to price ger wines as she pleases!

I wasn't quite as struck by the wines as Craig was/is, but there's no denying they are an interesting addition to the NZ wine scnece, and are quite a different style than most other Kiwi bordeaux blends, especially those from the Hawkes Bay region.
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:52 pm

I agree the price for me was a major issue. I am not sure they have sufficent structure to last the distance in the cellar and at the prices they are asking I would want to know they have the ability to go the distance. Generally if I am paying just under $100, I don't want to see the wine inside 10-12 years.
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Re: Puriri Hills Tasting, Kiwi Cult wine

by Sue Courtney » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:39 pm

Wines show a lot of potential - and they're pretty much line-priced with Waiheke wines, where the next closest area of vineyards is, only there a big stretch of water in the way.
I've tasted the wines, but only at the vineyard (twice) and at another tasting where someone (not Craig) had a selection of the wines. The 2004 Reserve has been my favourite.

I have to say that Puriri Hills Vineyard was a beautiful location for our car club picnic - our classic cars lined up alongside the vines - and the Rose went down very well on that occasion.
More info - http://www.wineoftheweek.com/blog/blog2 ... m#20080106

Plastic glasses - unbelievable!
no avatar
User

Glenn Mackles

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 18, 2006 11:52 am

Virginia

by Glenn Mackles » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Yes, this wine is sold in VA. I first came across it in a regular Saturday tasting in my small local wine store about a year or so ago. And I had the pleasure of meeting the nice lady who made it (though she had a terrible cold at the time.) I bought about 6 bottles of several different vintages. And yes, the tasting was served in plastic cups. I still have it all because I got the idea it needed a bit more time. Perhaps I will open a bottle and see what I've got. And at least the stuff I bought wasn't all that expensive... say $30-50 range. I didn't know there was a cult.

Glenn
"If you can find something everyone agrees on, it's wrong." Mo Udall
no avatar
User

Neil Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Puriri Hills Tasting, Kiwi Cult wine

by Neil Courtney » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:43 pm

Sue Courtney wrote:I have to say that Puriri Hills Vineyard was a beautiful location for our car club picnic - our classic cars lined up alongside the vines - and the Rose went down very well on that occasion.
More info - http://www.wineoftheweek.com/blog/blog2 ... m#20080106

Here are a few more pics of the vineyard (and the MG's).

http://www.mgclub.org.nz/Gallery27.htm
Cheers,
Neil Courtney

'Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.' --- Anonymous.