The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Pesquera

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2000 Pesquera

by Jenise » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:20 pm

Opened a bottle last night, this might be the 4th or 5th we've opened from this case. On first sniff and taste, I was very pleased. The wine is finally showing some nice mature flavors and better balance than the last few bottles, and it paired well with our baked lamb and cabbage dinner. Amid the berries there's a bit of pine--is this American oak? If so, I've forgotten that about Pesquera, but it smells of it. Second glass: oh no, is that brett? Yes. Ugh. As it takes over, the fruit drops out and the finish goes to pot. Not a great experience. I'm thinkin' the whole batch is doomed.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Pesquera

by David M. Bueker » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:35 pm

I'm fairly brett tolerant, but I don't think I like the idea of brett combined with American oak. Shitty pickles?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:58 pm

Sorry to hear about the brett situation Jenise. I hope the rest stay brett-free.

I remember buying a case of this exact wine at my local Costco in the early 2000's and polished if off in the next 2 years. Didn't recall brett being an issue then.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:01 pm

Exactly how I acquired these, Ray. Loved it as a youngster--should have done what you did, obviously. And no, there was no brett then.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:01 pm

I'm sopmewhat brett-tolerant, but I should probably drink my 2004 then????
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Jenise wrote: Amid the berries there's a bit of pine--is this American oak? If so, I've forgotten that about Pesquera, but it smells of it.

Yes, all new American oak barrels*. I haven't tasted any Pesquera for many years, but I don't recall any obtrusive American oak jutting out from those I've had in the past.

*"El vino permanecerá en depósitos de acero inoxidable unos 20 días, para posteriormente pasarlo a barrica de roble americano durante 16, 24, o 36 meses, dependiendo el tipo de vino. Las barricas siempre se renuevan para obtener un vino de máxima calidad." (From: http://www.pesqueraafernandez.com/index.htm)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:17 am

David M. Bueker wrote: Shitty pickles?

That made me laugh! More pine than dill in this case, but yes. And Noel (thank you, Noel) confirms my suspicions. I've had and liked many a Pesquera in the past, but I can't make sense out of this vintage. Or at least, this case of mine from this vintage. I have a case of 01's too--better try one soon.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

Spencer brought a bottle of the '95 Condado de Haza (brother of Pesquera) to our cull party last night, but we didn't get to it (we had too many good wines in the culls). After your note on the Pesquera I was genuinely curious to try it & see if it had suvived.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

by John DeFiore » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:08 pm

Noel Ermitano wrote:
Jenise wrote: Amid the berries there's a bit of pine--is this American oak? If so, I've forgotten that about Pesquera, but it smells of it.

Yes, all new American oak barrels*. I haven't tasted any Pesquera for many years, but I don't recall any obtrusive American oak jutting out from those I've had in the past.

*"El vino permanecerá en depósitos de acero inoxidable unos 20 días, para posteriormente pasarlo a barrica de roble americano durante 16, 24, o 36 meses, dependiendo el tipo de vino. Las barricas siempre se renuevan para obtener un vino de máxima calidad." (From: http://www.pesqueraafernandez.com/index.htm)

Hmm, I wonder if they mean 20 days extended maceration in stainless steel on the skins, or 20 days in stainless steel settling after pressing (which seems excessive, but in no way harmful unless lees contact is desired) prior to going to barrel. I would suspect the former, but it says (roughly) "The wine is kept in stainless steel vessels for some 20 days prior to being stored in American oak barrels for 16, 24 or 36 months, depending on the type of wine."

John
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

by Noel Ermitano » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:19 pm

John DeFiore wrote:Hmm, I wonder if they mean 20 days extended maceration in stainless steel on the skins, or 20 days in stainless steel settling after pressing (which seems excessive, but in no way harmful unless lees contact is desired) prior to going to barrel. I would suspect the former, but it says (roughly) "The wine is kept in stainless steel vessels for some 20 days prior to being stored in American oak barrels for 16, 24 or 36 months, depending on the type of wine."

Hi, John. I really wouldn't know about 20 days extended maceration vis-a-vis 20 days in stainless steel settling after pressing - just what was written in the winery's official site. Thanks for the translation, but I actually can read, write and speak Spanish (though my conversational Spanish is quite rusty, I read and write far better than I speak). I can also read enough French to get by in France, but my spoken French is rudimentary at best.

N
no avatar
User

John DeFiore

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm

CA Bay Area

by John DeFiore » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:18 am

Noel Ermitano wrote:
John DeFiore wrote:Hmm, I wonder if they mean 20 days extended maceration in stainless steel on the skins, or 20 days in stainless steel settling after pressing (which seems excessive, but in no way harmful unless lees contact is desired) prior to going to barrel. I would suspect the former, but it says (roughly) "The wine is kept in stainless steel vessels for some 20 days prior to being stored in American oak barrels for 16, 24 or 36 months, depending on the type of wine."

Hi, John. I really wouldn't know about 20 days extended maceration vis-a-vis 20 days in stainless steel settling after pressing - just what was written in the winery's official site. Thanks for the translation, but I actually can read, write and speak Spanish (though my conversational Spanish is quite rusty, I read and write far better than I speak). I can also read enough French to get by in France, but my spoken French is rudimentary at best.

N

Hi Noel,

I guessed that you could read Spanish, the translation was more for anyone else who didn't :) Anyway, I'm always curious about winemaking techniques so I was wondering if anyone knew the specifics behind this particular wine.

Saludos,

John