The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rosé Taste-Off & Some Reds.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Rosé Taste-Off & Some Reds.

by Noel Ermitano » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Notes from lunch of 25th August 2009:

A few weeks ago, the Stockbroker thought to have a lunch comparing the 2007 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé and the 2007 Domaines Ott Château Romassan Rosé Coeur de Grain as he had picked up some of the latter at a recent trip to Tokyo. I'd heard and read about Domaines Ott, but I don't recall ever having had its wines. The unanimous choice for today's lunch, 25th August 2009, was, naturally, Je Suis Gourmand - since 2 top Bandol rosés were featured, Marc Aubry's escargots bourguignonne were definitely in order.

We were 5 in all today (the Stockbroker, Keiichi, Miguel, Rene and myself) and we all ordered the same meal: an order each of Escargots Bourguignonne to start and Beef Onglet for main. The Stockbroker tested the rosés, found them in order...

...so they were poured...

...and the tasting began.

2007 Domaines Ott Château Romassan Bandol Rosé Coeur de Grain - The Stockbroker's bottle, as earlier mentioned. Just a shade lighter in color than the Tempier, this is made up of mourvèdre, cinsault and grenache. Fresh, very supple, fruity and extremely easy to drink. The aroma called to mind a light, cooling summer drizzle, light melon, cantaloupe, whispers of grapefruit citrus, underlying red currant - the entirety of which was possessed of a cool, delicately steely character. This is a happy, light-footed, delightfully fruity, feminine wine. Very fresh.

2007 Domaine Tempier Bandol Rosé - My bottle, unsurprisingly, as it is my favorite rosé. It is likewise a blend of mourvèdre, cinsault and grenache. The dominant fruit flavors are somewhat similar to the Romassan Coeur de Grain, but the dominance, structure and character are totally different. Most obviously in the nose and on the palate is the Tempier's readily apparent garrigue (emphasis on lavender, fennel and oregano) and an underlying mild woody toastiness. It is also more complex, firmly structured and the fruit clearly more deeply veined (I suspect the Tempier's vines are older).

My thoughts, as well as Rene's, are that the 2007 Romassan rosé is a fun, feminine, light-hearted wine that dances on one's tongue. It is, per Rene, something one could drink tons of at the beach. The 2007 Tempier rosé, on the other hand, is, comparatively, a more serious, complex, structured, intellectual wine. As such, to me, the Tempier is also more versatile as a food wine, though I could easily sip an entire bottle of it alone as well - though, admittedly, not as easily as I could the Romassan.

Conclusion? They are both excellent rosés, though totally different in character. Both have their own places. If pressed, though, I would say that the Tempier is still my favorite rosé, especially with Marc's escargots.

That done, our orders of Beef Onglet made their way to the table. I must mention that everyone seems to love this dish's deeply earthy, slightly gamey flavors heartily accented by caramelized onions. With a side of excellent frites, what's not to love? Due to its robust character, we unanimously decided to have it mainly paired with an equally robust Spanish red.

2004 Flor de Pingus - Miguel's bottle, one he recently brought back from Spain. As I understand, Flor de Pingus, is not technically a second wine as it is made from fruit of a separate vineyard of Peter Sisseck's Dominio de Pingus (Ribera del Duero). Pingus' wines are produced in small quantities, consistently highly rated by influential reviewers, consequently highly prized by collectors, and, accordingly priced - so much so that they are perceived as "cult wines". I've only ever had one Pingus, the 2001, which I liked a lot...but, when I found out how much it cost, I nearly had a heart attack. It's modern, definitely openly pleasing, but I'd never pay the lofty price it commands (I feel the same way with Le Pin's wines).

Flor de Pingus is produced from the estate's vineyard of "younger" vines - I use quotation marks because I've read that the so-called younger tempranillo vines average a good 35 years of age (the average vine age for Pingus is 70 years). The 2004, though obviously and understandably quite young, is a lusciously, rich, ripe, super-concentrated wine, cascading lowish-acid, high in alcohol, dense, slightly briary dark fruit, blueberry, ripe strawberry, mild tobacco, a hefty dose of vanilla/oak. Again, very open and pleasing, and I am very thankful to be able to try it. For my pocket, though, I'll stick to Vega Sicilia when my Ribera del Duero cravings come upon me.

The lunch's extra bonus points wine was...

1994 Château Lafleur - Keiichi's bottle - a more than generous treat. The wine wasn't decanted, the bottle was just left opened - I'm not sure for how long, but at least a couple of hours before it was poured.

I've been having a string of good luck the past year or so when it comes to much maligned 1994 Bordeaux. Impressive wines that immediately come to mind have been the 1994 Haut Brion, La Mission Haut Brion and Angelus (the '94 Margaux, however, was quite a letdown). This '94 Lafleur, after around 35-45 minutes in the glass, was captivating: incredibly deep, powerful but properly reserved and elegant, finely cedar-and-gravel-laced dark fruit/plum, discreet black cherry, violets and minerals, just the merest trace of dried marjoram in the cedar and dark fruit. Complex, contemplative, exquisite and unmistakably Bordeaux. This is my kind of wine. Loved it.

2002 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - Rene's bottle (I don't have a photo of him with his bottle - or the Stockbrocker with his for that matter - since they were seated on either side of me - difficult to take photos of them at those angles). This is light-years removed from the lasciviously ripe, wantonly oaky 2003 of SHL that I remember from the UGC tasting at Vinexpo (Bordeaux) 2007. Rather, it is quite toned-down, proper and Pessac-Léognan-like compared to most SHLs I've had. Notes of cedar, warm asphalt and dried thyme are present in the cassis and slight raspberry/cherry base. Quite correct and typical. Impressive given the vintage. This is undoubtedly the best 2002 Bordeaux I've had (not that I've had many, admittedly). Keiichi was openly complimentary of it.

We all skipped dessert and, with the cheese plates, went on to...

2006 La Bella Estate Moscato Passito - Miguel's bottle which he brought home from a recent trip to Italy (this certainly fellow travels a lot because of work). A rather simple, straightforward, charming and easy to drink light, nimble, moderately sweet Piedmontese moscato - reminiscent of a mildly honeyed, floral white grape juice with a light touch of vanilla/oak. Nicely clean and cleansing.

Cups of coffee, double espressos and glasses of Eau de vie de Prune brought an end to yet another a excellent lunch with fine food, wine and company.

The Stockbroker had business to attend to at Premium Wine Exchange and Keiichi headed off for home - but Miguel, rene and I weren't done yet. It being slightly before 4pm, we followed to PWX where the Stockbroker opened...

2004 WesMar Pinot Noir Hellenthal Vineyard (Sonoma Coast) - Jammy, resinous, concentrated spiced cherry, raspberry, blueberry, some plum underneath, notes of cola, cinnamon, muscovado and vanilla/oak. Big, dense, concentrated, with a definitive and long finish. Very California pinot noir.

2006 Freeman Vineyard & Winery Akiko's Cuvée Pinot Noir (Russian River) - Easily lighter in frame and weight than the WesMar Hellenthal, its dominant fruit flavors (raspberry and cherry fruit) are neither jammy/spicy/sweet/ripe nor as concentrated. It is evidently cleaner, more refined and much lighter on its feet, albeit not as layered or complex. I likened it whimsically to a Louis Latour Marsannay. Very easy to drink.

6 pm rolled around the corner and we all had to head off home. I picked up a few bottles of PWX's 2006 Saintsbury Brown Ranch Estate Bottled Chardonnay for my wife on the way out as she likes this style of chardonnay.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Rosé Taste-Off & Some Reds.

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:14 am

Noel Ermitano wrote:I picked up a few bottles of PWX's 2006 Saintsbury Brown Ranch Estate Bottled Chardonnay for my wife on the way out as she likes this style of chardonnay.

Nice. I take it you are based in the Philippines. Is there a big market for California wine there?
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:31 am

Rahsaan wrote:Nice. I take it you are based in the Philippines. Is there a big market for California wine there?

Thanks.

In terms of the US market, no. The entire Philippine wine market itself is actually quite small. The now retired financial director of Diageo (Asia Pacific) is a good drinking buddy of mine and he told me, historically, wine sales make up barely 8% of Diageo's sales in the Philippines - and Diageo distributes "grocery wines" which are more affordable to most Filipinos.

The shop I mentioned (Premium Wine Exchange) is a small niche shop that specializes in Cali wines, they are not cheap especially in Philippine terms - it caters to the elite here (there is a huge disparity in wealth in this country between the haves and have nots). Volume is definitely not their game. The shop is owned by 4 wealthy fellows who love wine. I tease them that the shop is just one of their toys.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:26 am

Noel Ermitano wrote:The shop I mentioned (Premium Wine Exchange) is a small niche shop that specializes in Cali wines, they are not cheap especially in Philippine terms - it caters to the elite here (there is a huge disparity in wealth in this country between the haves and have nots). Volume is definitely not their game. The shop is owned by 4 wealthy fellows who love wine. I tease them that the shop is just one of their toys.

I can see that. Although Brown Ranch and other California wines are not cheap in US terms either!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:09 am

The shop is owned by 4 wealthy fellows who love wine. I tease them that the shop is just one of their toys.

Noel, sounds like my kinda place!
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:15 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:The shop is owned by 4 wealthy fellows who love wine. I tease them that the shop is just one of their toys.

Noel, sounds like my kinda place!

Definitely, it is a nice, cozy place to drink. We hold impromptu lunches there (as well as better planned and more elaborate dinners) from time to time. A relatively recent spur-of-the-moment lunch that immediately comes to mind is one involving Italian wines. I'll post that shortly.

Oh, and if anyone is wondering why I am suddenly posting a rash of notes, it's because there is a strong typhoon in Manila now so no golf today. Thus, I'm here at home with nothing better to do. I must say, however, that I do very much enjoy the "feel" of this forum. Everyone seems so polite and well spoken.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:30 am

Well we all enjoy your posts Noel. We are not the type of crowd that is going to create a fuss just `cos your notes and thoughts do not agree with..whoever! As we say here in Cowboy country..."tie`em up, keep them coming!".
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:18 pm

Noel Ermitano wrote:[
Oh, and if anyone is wondering why I am suddenly posting a rash of notes, it's because there is a strong typhoon in Manila now so no golf today. Thus, I'm here at home with nothing better to do. I must say, however, that I do very much enjoy the "feel" of this forum. Everyone seems so polite and well spoken.

Glad you like the feel of the place, Noel! It's been the hallmark of the WLDG.

Your posts are very informative and the photos add a lot. Hope to see many more to come. (That Domaines Ott sounds like one I'll have to try to find before the hot weather goes away here. )
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

by Noel Ermitano » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:29 am

Thanks, Mike, I'm happy to be here, and, rest assured, I have lots more to come. Do let us know how you find that Ott rosé if/when you eventually try it out.