The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Oregon visit

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

Oregon visit

by Sue Courtney » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:24 pm

If I make the decision to visit Oregon, and given that I will be crossing the Pacific and arriving on the West Coast, is it easier to get to Oregon from Vancover, or from San Francisco?

TIA,

SUe
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

Re: Oregon visit

by John S » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:10 pm

It's easy both ways, really. I'm not sure if you are flying or driving, though. Flying isn't a problem from either place, with direct flights available (SF about 2 hours, Vancouver about 1 hour). If you are driving, the drive from SF to Portland is about 12 hours. The drive from Vancouver is about 7 hours. But it's on the 'other' side of the road!

Let Jenise know if you are going to Vancouver, and she might be able to get the Vancouver group together for a tasting. Isn't it kind of me to offer on behalf of Jenise?!? (Hope you don't mind, Jenise!:)). I am out of town until the Spring, so that's why I can't offer myself.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:20 pm

However you get here, Sue, please do allow us to spend some time with you, as we are here in the Portland/Willamette Valley area.

We'd love to show you some of the local scenery.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 am

John S wrote:Let Jenise know if you are going to Vancouver, and she might be able to get the Vancouver group together for a tasting. Isn't it kind of me to offer on behalf of Jenise?!? (Hope you don't mind, Jenise!:)). I am out of town until the Spring, so that's why I can't offer myself.

Both LAX, SF and Vancouver are direct flights from Auckland but a tasting with Jenise - now that does make Vancouver seem very attractive. Not sure when we're coming over There have been some excellent flight prices to the West Coast - but we do have a South Island visit to get out of the way first.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 am

Hoke wrote:However you get here, Sue, please do allow us to spend some time with you, as we are here in the Portland/Willamette Valley area.

We'd love to show you some of the local scenery.

WIll be sure to let you know. Thanks Hoke.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:32 am

John, you're most correct in volunteering me--I am so up to this task!

If Oregon is your main goal, I vote for Vancouver on a number of counts: As others have reported, Vancouver's closer. And miles don't tell the whole story: from YVR to the main freeway that's going to carry you south across the border and deliver you to Portland, it's about 3 minutes. From SFO to the same relative starting point, add a good hour. Vancouver's no less special a town than SF. And in Vancouver, there's also the benefit of me, Bill Spohn, John S and others you would enjoy meeting. What's more, why not make it a comprehensive visit to the Pac NW? California has it's own merits, but it's not in the Pac NW. Portland and Vancouver are, and so is Seattle smack in between--you'd get the three great cities of the Pac NW in one trip. And you can do it all from a train--you mentioned you love trains.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:19 pm

Jenise wrote:John, you're most correct in volunteering me--I am so up to this task!

If Oregon is your main goal, I vote for Vancouver on a number of counts: As others have reported, Vancouver's closer. And miles don't tell the whole story: from YVR to the main freeway that's going to carry you south across the border and deliver you to Portland, it's about 3 minutes. From SFO to the same relative starting point, add a good hour. Vancouver's no less special a town than SF. And in Vancouver, there's also the benefit of me, Bill Spohn, John S and others you would enjoy meeting. What's more, why not make it a comprehensive visit to the Pac NW? California has it's own merits, but it's not in the Pac NW. Portland and Vancouver are, and so is Seattle smack in between--you'd get the three great cities of the Pac NW in one trip. And you can do it all from a train--you mentioned you love trains.

Wow Bill and John as well as you Jenise - we are just going to have to do it.
The original plan (which may not happen) was to visit North America for 3 months - I want to fly to east coast Canada and return to the west coast by train - or several trains as I understand now the original Canadian Pacific no longer runs across the continent. Neil wants to do an American road trip in a convertible. We thought we could combine our aspirations in a long trip - but could we afford it?

Meanwhile, I see some really good flight prices to North America, so a short holiday may be in order and I'd really like to visit Oregon - there's been talk on Chat about some offline taking place there next summer.
Now I hear we can catch a train down the coast from Vancouver, it makes Vancouver more and more likely.
Or we could perhaps arrive Vancouver and depart from San Francisco. A chance to catch up with my cuzzie.

By the way, the area you live in Jenise, looks very pretty

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Ah, if this isn't until next (northern) summer, then I very well may be in town, unless I'm off travelling somewhere myself!

If you have three months, you can see a lot of Canada and the US! If less, doing the Vancouver - SF route would be great too, but it would be much better as a drive, I think. The Pacific coastal highway is lovely, especially in a convertible! A potential shorter train route is from Vancouver to Banff or Jasper. Even if you're a big train buff, going across the whole country is a long and expensive proposition.

Doing the Van - SF route would definitely bring you into some great wine regions as well in each state. Even the Okanagan in BC could be worth a visit for 2-3 days, if you have lots of time.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:33 am

Sue. Wait till you see Alberta!

http://tsta0.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/p8040425-2.jpg

LOL!
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm

Bob, I'm more than willing to be a flack for Alberta anytime...although I can speak only for the part bounded by Calgary, Edmondton and over to the BC line. Since that includes some of the most magnificent scenery I've seen on the planet---and I've seen a good bit of it---that's reasonable.

Banff and Lake Louise are picturesque. Calgary is a fun, fun town. But the drive up through the Canadian Rockies is truly and sincerely one of the most magnificent drives imaginable, and something I've done numerous times. The Fairmont JP is also quite an experience.

I've also wanted to take the train across Canada---back when you could do that more easily---and have scaled back to one day doing the Vancouver--JP route and back in the scenic car.

By and large, the people I've met in Alberta also tend to be warm, welcoming, friendly, and comfortable for travelers.

Add in the excellent food---the Alberta beef and lamb, the corn and such---and the Canadian penchant for lusty enjoyment of alcoholic beverages, and you've got a hell of a province there!

If you could only do something about those Plains winters now...
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:22 am

Sue Courtney wrote:
Jenise wrote:John, you're most correct in volunteering me--I am so up to this task!

Wow Bill and John as well as you Jenise - we are just going to have to do it.
The original plan (which may not happen) was to visit North America for 3 months - I want to fly to east coast Canada and return to the west coast by train - or several trains as I understand now the original Canadian Pacific no longer runs across the continent. Neil wants to do an American road trip in a convertible. We thought we could combine our aspirations in a long trip - but could we afford it?

Meanwhile, I see some really good flight prices to North America, so a short holiday may be in order and I'd really like to visit Oregon - there's been talk on Chat about some offline taking place there next summer.
Now I hear we can catch a train down the coast from Vancouver, it makes Vancouver more and more likely.
Or we could perhaps arrive Vancouver and depart from San Francisco. A chance to catch up with my cuzzie.

Cheers,
Sue

We're working on it.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT