The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

POLL: Your favorite grape

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

Pick your grape!

Champagne
2%
Chardonnay
2%
Sauv Blanc
No votes
Riesling
15%
Pinot Gris/Grigio
No votes
Gruner Veltliner
2%
Chenin Blanc
2%
Pinot Noir
20%
Zinfandel
7%
Sangiovese
7%
Nebbiolo
7%
Merlot
2%
Cabernet Franc
No votes
Cabernet Sauvignon
2%
Syrah/Shiraz
13%
Petite Sirrah
4%
Mourvedre
No votes
Grenache
9%
Tempranillo
No votes
Malbec
No votes
Other
7%

Total votes : 46
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:01 pm

Michigan (perhaps more cleverly known as "The Big Mitten")

Re: POLL: Your favorite grape

by Jeff B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 pm

Peter May wrote:
(since when was champagne a grape variety?)

The election was rigged, perhaps on my behalf. Even if not, it is much appreciated and is the most logical selection on the list ;) If only REAL elections could be tailor-made like this (and offer the same delights when they end up in "office") ;)

Thank you Jenise (even if it wasn't intended). Perhaps the world's greatest drink sub-conciously effects others as well whether they know it or not. I can easily see how the "mistake" was made... ;)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:48 pm

Okay, I know Chardonnay is often "snobbed upon" (as mentioned in my first post when I voted for it) but, in defense of this chalky, luscious, elegant, nutty, creamy blonde (when she's at her best) I must inquire, Why is my vote for her still showing 0%???????????

I realize I'm just one voice and will not have enough electoral votes to swing the results (her often saucier-edged sister appears to be the "people's choice" thus far) but I still assumed my lone vote would count!!!

I demand a recall! ;)

This grape election wasn't posted from Florida was it??? ;)

Does this just mean we can all start from scratch I can just vote for the conveniantly appearing champagne option now! I'll be content to do that ;)

Jeff
"Meeting Franklin Roosevelt was like opening your first bottle of champagne. Knowing him was like drinking it." - Winston Churchill
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:54 pm

I see Mourvedre gets no vote...so far! Thought this might be next months Wine Focus subject?

Me? I voted Grenache!
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:57 pm

Jenise wrote:
Peter May wrote:Other. For me, Pinotage.

Well, as Jeff B pointed out, it's also a distinct winemaking style so it really wasn't fair to make a champagne fan choose between chardonnay and pinot noir.

Oh thank you, thank you. Just saw this after I posted my previous post. Due to your kindness and graciousness I now gleefully voted for the "champagne" option! ;)

Of course, now when I went to vote, the CHARDONNAY vote I casted had now RE-APPEARED and was counted!

I hope it wasn't re-added on my behalf because if it was I now have TWO votes casted! LOL If that's possible to do? I didn't even think it was? Not that I won't be happy to have a vote counted for both...

I'm being difficult aren't I? ;)

Jeff
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:03 pm

Isn't this kind of like asking who your favorite child is? I went with Nebbiolo (today), but it could easily be another tomorrow.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Dave C

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:30 am

Manchester UK

by Dave C » Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:05 pm

Shiraz for me most of the time - a good second place to Zinfandel

Cheers, Dave C
I'm daveac - host of The 'Big and Fruity' Wine Podcast on Talkshoe ID 112272 every Tuesday at 5PM EDT
My vblog is on blip.tv & I'm co-host of The Cultdom Collective Podcast Talkshoe ID 54821 Sun 2PM EDT
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:20 am

Jeff B wrote:Of course, now when I went to vote, the CHARDONNAY vote I casted had now RE-APPEARED and was counted!

I don't suppose the thought crossed your mind that someone else may have voted Chardonnay. :roll: There are a band of of followers of this noble grape, you know. :wink:
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:59 am

Sue Courtney wrote:
Jeff B wrote:Of course, now when I went to vote, the CHARDONNAY vote I casted had now RE-APPEARED and was counted!

I don't suppose the thought crossed your mind that someone else may have voted Chardonnay. :roll: There are a band of of followers of this noble grape, you know. :wink:

From what's typically said/thought about the grape, no, it never did cross my mind! ;)

But my apologies and welcome to the club! It's always nice to see a fellow fan :)

Of course then that just makes this "election" even more puzzling because, at least at one point earlier, it was simply showing 0% for our favorite grape. How could TWO votes get lost in the ballot box??? :shock:

Jeff
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:59 am

Jeff B wrote:
Peter May wrote:

The election was rigged, perhaps on my behalf. Even if not, it is much appreciated and is the most logical selection on the list ;)

But the question is what is your favourite grape variety, not what is your favourite wine. :wink:

Voting for a grape doesn't define what sort of wine. One might vote Sauvignon Blanc because it can be made dry and sweet. One could vote Pinot Noir because it makes red and makes Champagne.

If the desert island rule restricted you to one variety you could still get a range of wines -- red and white -- depending on the grape chosen.

Even with the intention of choosing Champagne only, it would be telling to express a favourite variety used in its making. I prefer blanc de noir Champagne so would vote Pinot Meunier.

A problem for me is I like my Champagne well chilled and I can't see that is going to be easy on a desert island....
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:07 am

Peter, Hi.....

Considering hyothetical settings, any self-respecting dessert island will most surely come equipped with a fine temperature and humidity controlled wine cellar.

In seriousness, as both smugglers and Israeli soldiers have learned, when in the dessert, the way to store wine is simply to dig a trench about 1 meter deep, to place the wines in the trench and to recover it with sand. A meter under the sand actually proves quite cool.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:57 am

Daniel Rogov wrote:In seriousness, as both smugglers and Israeli soldiers have learned, when in the dessert, the way to store wine is simply to dig a trench about 1 meter deep, to place the wines in the trench and to recover it with sand. A meter under the sand actually proves quite cool.

I'm surprised that a meter in a warm climate desert would do it. Going deep down into ground (or a deep cave, or a spring) should just get you to average annual temperature, so in a very warm climate it would be cooler than daytime highs, but not really cool. I would guess a meter down gets you to more a seasonal average, most places you need to go 2-3 meters to eliminate seasonal change.

In any case, I'm hoping my island is not in the tropics, I need to keep my whites chilled, and need a place with a true winter as well as springs and caves. That said, I'm assuming there is a plan for a Pinot Noir laden ship to founder nearby every couple years, so I can get a couple pallets of PN off the flotsam.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:53 pm

Ideally it would be Pinot Noir, but in practice I drink a lot more Zinfandel. Those are the two largest populations in my cellar. I only wish good PN weren't so darned expensive!

John
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:05 pm

I was thinking more in line with growing my favorite grape variety and producing my own wine. So the location of the place where I’m banished will be a deciding factor, (if it would be a grape variety that favors hot or cold climates). The tropics aren’t really too bad, yes this would require a grape variety that can thrive in hot climates, but then again I might squeeze in two harvests a year.

Salute
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:42 pm

I'm surpised Cab Sauv and Merlot only have one vote each. Where are all the Bordeaux drinkers?
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

by Keith M » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Setting aside Champagne, which doesn't seem to fit the question asked . . .

Riesling is pretty clearly the winner for me. Wouldn't mind drinking only that for the rest of my life. Second and third go to pinot noir and gamay. And though I have exposure to a broad variety of grapes, my experience within each grape is pretty thin. I can't think of another white grape that would fit the bill. I love the expressiveness and diversity of chenin blanc, but don't think I could stomach only that for the rest of my days--it seems a bit too particular. Certainly not Chardonnay--at least my experience has introduced me to many styles I wouldn't enjoy on a regular basis. Not sure if there's enough variety of expression of Silvaner--but I might give that a chance. Love verdejo, but would be worried about becoming bored with it. Excellent question.

Of course, I presume we are allowed to bring beer to the proverbial desert island? No need to abandon the requisites of a civilized existence, no?
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:41 pm

Peter May wrote:But the question is what is your favourite grape variety, not what is your favourite wine. :wink:

I understand. I already wrote that I was aware I was being difficult. ;) Was just my apparently poor attempt at adding a little humor and having some fun. ;) Plus, I did vote for Chardonnay (initially) which hopefully is still a grape variety! It wasn't until later that I discovered that champagne had magically appeared on the ballot. I will admit that even though it isn't a grape variety, I couldn't in good-conscious not vote for it if somehow it was going to be allowed! After all the election criteria and process is out of my hands. I just simply voted, correct or incorrect, for the most attractive candidate (in my eyes) on the list... ;)

Voting for a grape doesn't define what sort of wine.

Well in my case it has to or else I'm not sure it would be wise for me to participate! ;) Not that it would sadden anyone I'm sure. That's because I largely and predominately only enjoy champagne the most in terms of "wine". I'm not as well-rounded, diverse or experimental as most in trying/drinking/appreciating wines in all it's grape varieties across the board. I more or less am the type who finds what he really likes most and pretty much sticks with it. Even restricting to just champagne is a lifetime's worth of undiscovered joys! Anytime I'm experimenting around with other wines, with all due respect to them, is still less time I'm not spending with champagne! ;) Is just a personal preference. Therefore, in my case, what I enjoy most virtually dictates by default the grape variety(ies) I have to choose from. It really doesn't help me to weigh the various wines and pleasures I could recieve if I only picked Riesling or Cabernet Sauvignon or something if, inevitably, they aren't even in my favorite wine(s)...

If the desert island rule restricted you to one variety you could still get a range of wines -- red and white -- depending on the grape chosen.

That's fine. I still have no regrets. I can "suffer" with some Chablis and White Burgundy if it's sent along in the cases as well! ;) I also understand I'll likely get more unneceesary or unwanted crates of "supermarket chardonnay" from all over the globe by picking this grape which I guess I can still taste if bored or just simply leave untouched if I don't like. But for me the biggest concern would be that my favorite wine must be in that shipment for the grape variety chosen! Or else why did I pick that given grape variety as my choice if my favorite wine isn't a part of it? Perhaps I should be interpreting the question for what is your favorite grape as, "what grape can you pick where no wine made from it you outright dislike"? If that's the goal perhaps chardonnay (or any grape) should not be the answer. But I view the question, in the end, for me personally as more what wine(s) can I not ever imagine living without and thus what grape(s) make up that wine...

Even with the intention of choosing Champagne only, it would be telling to express a favourite variety used in its making.

Initially I did. I had no choice! :( That's why I voted for chardonnay! I'm assuming chardonnay is still a main variety in the making of champagne??? I'll dearly miss it if it has been replaced...

I prefer blanc de noir Champagne so would vote Pinot Meunier.

I respect that! I'm even happy to hear it! At least it's a vote for champagne so can't fault you (or anyone) for that. I love it myself. That's the whole reason I initially felt somewhat sad having to be forced to pick between three grape varieties that I actually love more as "one" rather than apart and isolated. I inevitably had to side with Chardonnay, admittedly at the loss of several great champagnes that would exist in largely pinot based percentages, but what could I do? Most the ones I tend to prefer, on average, have had significant chardonnay influence/characteristics so I just went with the variety that had the slight edge for me typically.'Especially when I considered many of the various and delicious blanc de blancs I've enjoyed over the years (and which just seem to be more numerous and varied than blanc de noirs). That was a main reason in itself. Salon and Taittinger Comtes de Champagne (while I wish I could say I can afford to constantly enjoy them) are still, when I have had them, among my very favorite champagnes I've ever had personally. So I can't say I'll be regretful or suffering too badly on this island. Besides, the periphial benefits of chardonnay were more "appealing" to me in the sense if I want a "still" wine, I can just move a bit south and have a Chablis or a various white burgundy, which I LOVE the chalky minerality of (when its at it's best). Whereas, red burgundy, for me, is a less desirable side benefit to picking pinot noir (blanc de noirs). I understand I'm a bit backwards or simply in a minority in that regard but you like what you like.

I guess the beauty is now that champagne has conveniantly appeared on the ballot, I was able to break the rules and be able to rightfully enjoy all three varieties as one! :lol: To me, champagne is still best, overall, with all three as one and not having to single one out if you don't have to. I understand the vote breaks the rules and doesn't answer the original question, but I didn't set up the criteria, I'm just now taking advantage of it. ;) But, if forced, I'll both gleefully and yet sadly go back to JUST chardonnay... ;)

A problem for me is I like my Champagne well chilled and I can't see that is going to be easy on a desert island....

Now that I agree with! It might be a bit difficult for sure. Then again, I might be a little bit odd in regards to that as well in that I actually don't "mind" warmed up champagne (provided it was INITIALLY chilled of course). Then again, everyone's choice of grape/wines might be at a disadvantage here since I don't know of any wine that doesn't need to be chilled at least somewhat. But, you're right, chilling champagne to begin with is going to be difficult. Anyway we can get a century's worth of ice or some self-powering freezers to be sent to this island??? ;)
Last edited by Jeff B on Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Jeff B wrote:
Sue Courtney wrote:

From what's typically said/thought about the grape, no, it never did cross my mind! ;)

But my apologies and welcome to the club! It's always nice to see a fellow fan :)

Of course then that just makes this "election" even more puzzling because, at least at one point earlier, it was simply showing 0% for our favorite grape. How could TWO votes get lost in the ballot box??? :shock:

Jeff

They can't; someone didn't vote. In fact, maybe neither of you did, because guess who else chose chardonnay? My desert island's a hot place, and a good supply of white burgs would get me through the days nicely.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff B

Rank

Champagne Lover

by Jeff B » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:02 pm

Jenise wrote:They can't; someone didn't vote. In fact, maybe neither of you did, because guess who else chose chardonnay? My desert island's a hot place, and a good supply of white burgs would get me through the days nicely.

Oh wow! LOL Now we have three! Welcome! Perhaps this grape will catch on one day after all and become popular, who knows! Maybe even the biggest in the world! ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist...

As far as the vote, I could've sworn I clicked submit but of course I cant be 100% positive. It's possible I never physically clicked it and just thought I did. So perhaps it's my own doing for not getting my vote in.

Nonetheless, if we're now allowing champagne as a "grape variety" I won't challenge the system! ;) My vote for it can stay...
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:21 pm

The thought of only having one grape variety is indeed a scary thought, but I went with chenin blanc. Like reisling, it can be made in almost all styles, from sparkling to sweet, and to me is the 'funkiest' grape out there. Cabernet would be my second choice...
Previous