The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Open Mike: Fave bargain wine of late?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Open Mike: Fave bargain wine of late?

by Jenise » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:47 pm

Peter Gatti wrote:Yup, Johannes Leitz's entry level Qba from the Rudesheimer Drachenstein vineyard (hence Dragon stone). Usually delicious pop-and-gulp though it'll go a few years, and he makes a trocken version from the same vineyard that he calls "Ein, Zwei, Drei" for those who like dry rieslings.

Thanks, Peter. Good to see you around again!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Drew Hall wrote:That's criminal! Even in the best restaurant that wine wouldn't get much more than $25 for the bottle. Not knowing anything about the economy in Canada I hope the salaries reflect that kind of pricing.

Drew

It's like that all over BC, and only slightly better in Alberta whose import system is less draconian. It's why whenever we dine up there we tend to order very low end wines. 4x U.S. retail is commonplace, 2-3x is low.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:01 pm

My most consistently reliable QPR bargain is Saumur-Champigny from René-Noël Legrand. This is most frustrating for those outside France because his wines are hardly exported though there is one sales point in California. Even British Loire experts like Jim Budd and Chris Kissack hardly seem aware of his wines.

He is about the most uncommercial grower whom I have met and is shy about presenting his wines even as close to home as the Angers Wine Fair but he is extremely friendly and communicative whenever I visit. Alas I fear that he may have retired for health reasons because he was muttering about it on my last visit and no longer appears in the Bettane/Desseauve and Hachette guides where he was a regular for at least 15 years. I think that only one of his cuvées costs more than €10 ex-cellars whereas several of his peers are charging almost double that for no better quality.

His wines can be somewhat tough in their youth which leads some tasters to dub them rustic without letting them develop. They rapidly acquire great personality, however, and are amongst the most instantly recognisable wines, which I know, for their tangy savoury fruit, a lot of raspberry, earthy minerality, a lot of clay, discreet leather and for their firm structure. With more age, they can acquire real distinction and elegance in the best vintages and I have posted elsewhere today a WTN on his 1985 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27124 . His 1989 is even better, perhaps his best ever, and his 1982 was just as good a few years ago but is now on the downwards slope.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:58 pm

Tim York wrote:His 1989 is even better, perhaps his best ever...

That's sad. What do we have to look forward to!
no avatar
User

Dave R

Rank

On Time Out status

Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:07 pm

by Dave R » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Undoubtedly my bargain wine winner of the year thus far was a 2001 Alain Graillot Crozes Hermitage. It just keeps improving over the years and was fantastic this summer. It has everything I love in a Rhone and was under $25 on release. I cannot wait to try the "La Guiraude" of the same vintage that are on deck.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up words and phrases and clauses.
Conjunction Junction, what's your function?
Hooking up cars and making 'em function.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

by Clint Hall » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 am

2008 MONTGRAS RESERVA CARMENERE COLCHAGUA VALLEY CHILE was one of the fifteen or so unexciting South American wines poured at a merchant's tasting this Saturday in Seattle, none of which tempted me to buy but my wife liked this one, so what could I do but buy a bottle, for $10.99. Surprise! At dinner the wine turned out to be a remarkably enjoyable cheapie. The tomato and spice flavors in the Carmenere blended perfectly with the tomato and spice in a penne arabiata we had that night, and what wine was left over proved lovely with tonight's chicken thighs in a mushroom sauce.
Previous