The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 2 New Reds from Wyncroft

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 2 New Reds from Wyncroft

by geo t. » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:30 pm

Jim Lester came to town last week with a batch of his current Wyncroft releases for an informal tasting hosted by Errol and Patty Kovitch. Wyncroft is certainly amont the very best wineries in Michigan and arguably produces the finest reds here. Errol always likes tasting Jim's wines compared to some other quality wines as a benchmark, and while we did just that, there was no actually “judging” to speak of. Wines were simply opened and enjoyed with a variety of cheeses, breads and other delectables for what they are, and by and large, most were very tasty indeed.

The following two reds stood out for this taster. The Pinot Noir was sandwiched in between two very nice red Burgundies and more than held its own.

2007 Wyncroft Lake Michigan Shore Pinot Noir Avonlea: Despite Jim's warning that this clean ruby garnet colored wine is “way too young right now,” it throws a gorgeous perfume that makes a real style statement with its floral, smoky black cherry personality. No wall flower this; it has very good weight, depth and structure. Jim says to give it 5 years, but it will certainly go for longer than that.

As we were driving home after the tasting, Kim asked me what my “Wine of the Night” was, and this next one could well have been it.

2006 Wyncroft Lake Michigan Shore “Shou” Avonlea, 80% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc, 12.5% alc.: Jim says that his late wife Rae Lee called this “the most Margaux-like Shou we've made so far.” As previously stated, '06 was the coolest vintage on record, so the grapes were picked at 20.5 Brix and soaked on the skins for a month; Lester chapatalized for the first time ever to get this up to 12.5% alc. With clean dark garnet color, it offers a hint of juniper over pretty black currant and blackberry shaded with some cedar; with air, Lester adds impressions of “a little eucalyptus and sourgum molasses sweetness,” saying that it should develop some nice cigar box character with time. Rich and deep, young and in need of time, but with the stuffing to age for 10 years, we'll try it again in 2-3 years to see where it's at.

- from New Wines from Wyncroft and more

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Stark

Rank

Cellar rat

Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Re: TN: 2 New Reds from Wyncroft

by Bob Stark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:57 pm

geo t:

Jim Lester came to The University Club n Grand Rapids and a private group of 25 tasted through his wines. Magic ensued and he really impressed many folks new to his wines.

It was an exciting evening and changed many minds about the possibiities for Michigan wines.

All of this a direct result of Jim attending MOCOOL this year

Bob
Bob S
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:58 am

Bob Stark wrote:geo t:

Jim Lester came to The University Club n Grand Rapids and a private group of 25 tasted through his wines. Magic ensued and he really impressed many folks new to his wines.

It was an exciting evening and changed many minds about the possibiities for Michigan wines.

All of this a direct result of Jim attending MOCOOL this year

Bob

Very cool, Bob! Thanks for sharing that info. We've been trying to get Jim to MoCool for the last 5 years or so.

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks for the notes, geo. Are Wyncroft wines still only available via direct sales? Last time I spoke with him, he said that he only sold by the case, a definite impediment for those of us on budgets. And I was very saddened to hear that he lost Rae Lee. I hope that Jim is doing OK.
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:Thanks for the notes, geo. Are Wyncroft wines still only available via direct sales? Last time I spoke with him, he said that he only sold by the case, a definite impediment for those of us on budgets. And I was very saddened to hear that he lost Rae Lee. I hope that Jim is doing OK.

Hi Mark! Jim is doing OK, all things considered, and has actually experienced a renewed drive and dedication to take Wyncroft forward. Current releases are available in 6 bottle minimums. You can read about it on the following page:
http://www.wyncroftwine.com/index.php?o ... 4&Itemid=3

Hope all is well with you and I'm looking forward to the next time we can sit down and enjoy some good food and wine together. Look out, because I might have a guitar and some harps with me too...

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :twisted:
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:12 pm

geo t. wrote:
Hope all is well with you and I'm looking forward to the next time we can sit down and enjoy some good food and wine together. Look out, because I might have a guitar and some harps with me too...

Ruh-roh! Dunno if I'll make it to Hudson, though it's not entirely out of the question. Life's crazy, but what else is new? :lol:

Cheers!
Mark Lipton