The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Fleurie, Piedmont Pink, and Priorat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Fleurie, Piedmont Pink, and Priorat

by Dale Williams » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:34 pm

Monday was veal chops, pasta with a light tomato sauce, and green salad. We were eating outside, and I opened a rose, the old faithful 2008 Cantalupo "Il Mimo." Enough heft to stand up to the meat, enough acid to stand up to the tomato, nice bitter edge to the red fruit. B+/B

Tuesday we had leftovers (chicken, veal, butternut squash, pasta, etc) with the 2008 Coudert "Cuvee Christal" Fleurie. Light, juicy, sweet red fruit. Not the depth one usually gets in either of Coudert's Clos de la Roilette bottlings (though I haven't tried the 08s yet), but a typical and tasty Beaujolais. But I can't say I liked it any better than I usually like say the Brun L'Ancien or Vissoux Traditionelle non-cru wines, so doubt I'd be looking for more. B

Wednesday Betsy headed south for some concerts, I did pork chops with some braised leeks for dinner. Wine was the 2001 Vall Llach "Embruix" (Priorat). I had intended this to be in the Sierra Carche tasting, but the "blinder" left it out, and Daniel returned. Too bad, it would have been better than almost any other wine that day. A little VA seems to stick out at first, but blows off. Sweet ripe fruit, a little cocoa, still a bit of oak. Better acidity than some Priorats, some tannins remain but not as evident as a couple years ago. Not a style of wine I gravitate for, but while big it's not jammy and holds up well over 5 hours. Not especially long though. Despite there still being noticalbe oak and tannins. I'd say drink this. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.